Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffcorbets

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Hi everyone,

I recently swapped my original stock Radeon 5870 graphics graphics card for a Quadro K5000 (Mac Edition, NIB) on my cMP 5,1. After swapping the cards, I set up Windows 10 and Boot Camp (using the workarounds) with the ultimate goal of doing some SolidWorks CAD work with the machine. Unfortunately, when installing the Nvidia drivers (either the Windows Update version, the SolidWorks-recommended version, or the latest version), the screen immediately goes black and never recovers. The best I can do (sometimes) is reboot and get to a black screen with only a cursor. I end up having to use DDU in Safe Mode to revert to the base SVGA graphics driver.

Interestingly, the Nvidia drivers provided as part of Apple's Boot Camp 5.1 package do not support the card.

When released, Nvidia advertised full Boot Camp support (albeit under Windows 7 and 8.1)...

Has anyone had any success using the K5000 card under Windows 10? If so, what driver version are you running?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
is this Windows in EFI or legacy mode? What is the partition is it MBR or GPT. If it is GPT then you boot in EFI mode. I only can make Microsoft Basic adapter to work in EFI mode.

jeffcorbets

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
This is Windows 10 in EFI mode (using a GPT partitioned disk). Like you, only the Microsoft Basic Adapter works.

I could grab another disk and see if legacy mode with an MBR-partitioned disk permits the Nvidia drivers to work correctly - are you able to get the Nvidia drivers to work in legacy mode?

How bad is the performance hit in legacy mode? I had seen comments that one core may get used fully for disk access in legacy mode...

Thanks,

Jeff

is this Windows in EFI or legacy mode? What is the partition is it MBR or GPT. If it is GPT then you boot in EFI mode. I only can make Microsoft Basic adapter to work in EFI mode.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Legacy works
[doublepost=1553368386][/doublepost]I haven't done much testing in Legacy but Windows 10 should not see big difference. Somebody else may chime in with more experience in Legacy

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently swapped my original stock Radeon 5870 graphics graphics card for a Quadro K5000 (Mac Edition, NIB) on my cMP 5,1. After swapping the cards, I set up Windows 10 and Boot Camp (using the workarounds) with the ultimate goal of doing some SolidWorks CAD work with the machine. Unfortunately, when installing the Nvidia drivers (either the Windows Update version, the SolidWorks-recommended version, or the latest version), the screen immediately goes black and never recovers. The best I can do (sometimes) is reboot and get to a black screen with only a cursor. I end up having to use DDU in Safe Mode to revert to the base SVGA graphics driver.

Interestingly, the Nvidia drivers provided as part of Apple's Boot Camp 5.1 package do not support the card.

When released, Nvidia advertised full Boot Camp support (albeit under Windows 7 and 8.1)...

Has anyone had any success using the K5000 card under Windows 10? If so, what driver version are you running?

Thanks,

Jeff
How do you use the DDU? I can’t even get into windows just the black screen and cursor after install restart...I’m also in legacy mode

Speedstar

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
I have the PC-Version of Quadro-K5000 in BOOTCAMP Win7 guess it is GPT with MBR and 2nd Partition
W10 might be MBR too the strange behavior is using multi GPU with Nvidia Drivers.
I have EVGA680GTX Mac Edition 2GB, Nv PNY PC Quadro K5000, and Inno3D 1050Ti SingleSlot with EVGAPowerLink together using Quadro and Geforce together is problem too...
I searched for same >Driver 425.51Quadro installed first then Geforce GAMEready 425.31,
All nView- Quadro functions stay preserved.
This was the last Driver I could use Nvision3d on Quadro with Maya2015/17 and C4d R17 on Windows 10
Denoiser of Arnold Renderer and Vray 3,6x 3,7x stops working on Kepler GPUs with first Arnold GPU Beta and Vray NEXT >1,2 which works on Pascal and UP only...
free Octane 1GPU on Blender works better on 1050ti then K5000 ...
got only screenshot from Mojave showing all 3 Cards in my Mac
I stay with Pascal on HighSierra... maybe k6000 would be option for Catalina in Future...
because I will never buy "Mac AMD Radeon only=iMac MacPro7,1 without CUDA" Computer...

Attachments

• noCUDAmacOS2019-01-15 um 20.25.22.png
    noCUDAmacOS2019-01-15 um 20.25.22.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.