Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
This game is the best game ever created by humans. I long to play it again.

How can I play it on MBP/10.15?

I have Bootcamp / Win 10 installed if that helps.

But ideally a native macOS solution would be best.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Catalina has unfortunately killed most native Mac gaming.

Quake 3 Gold is available on GOG, works fine on any even vaguely modern computer running Windows. It may work in MacOS with Wine or Crossover on Mojave or older.
I guess they are calling Quake III Arena, Quake III Gold because of copyright or something?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Catalina has unfortunately killed most native Mac gaming.

Quake 3 Gold is available on GOG, works fine on any even vaguely modern computer running Windows. It may work in MacOS with Wine or Crossover on Mojave or older.

Quake 3 gold. at least does work with Crossover 20.0 just fine on Catalina 10.15.7.. I have the bottle backed-up
I am unable to find Quake 3 Areana on GOG, so the one i have i must of miss-labbled as Quake 3 Arena instead.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
To be fair, I can't run quake 3 arena properly on my Windows gaming PC either last I tried (steam version).

You'd be able to make the game content work with 3rd party engines. Pretty sure you can run it in a browser these days anyway, Quakeworld?

fabibcn

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
I'm also interested, as Ritsuka's link is expired.
Because they made source code open source, I used to have Spearmint or ioquake 3 (no downloads for the latter at the moment because of a compromised server) to be able to run with better graphics settings, more modern code.
Let's see if someone can run it natively on Apple Silicon and tell us how :)

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I have got Quake 3 running natively on Apple Silicon. You can build it from my fork on GitHub. The only downside is that the bytecode compiler isn't there, so the virtual machine won't be as fast. Then again, you probably won't notice the speed difference on modern computers.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

fabibcn

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
awesome! I'll try to build it, I guess better to use an older mac, by fast reading your excellent guide on Github.
It's been a tradition to get Quake3 running on all machines I got over the years, was worried about M1 being too difficult to achieve.
Thank you!!

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
To be fair, I can't run quake 3 arena properly on my Windows gaming PC either last I tried (steam version).

You'd be able to make the game content work with 3rd party engines. Pretty sure you can run it in a browser these days anyway, Quakeworld?
GOG version works fine in Windows 10 w/Vega 56. Quake 1, Quake 2. and Quake 4 work fine as well. As far as I know they've never been an issue OS side, but video card drivers can sometimes break compatibly.

On the other hand, the Mac version of Quake 4 hasn't even been installable since Snow Leopard.

Reactions: opeter

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
For Quake 1 there are different wrappers and graphic and other mods aswell.

I am using Quakespasm.

If you like the first Quake it is also worth to check out this fantastic mod:
Arcane Dimensions

Here is a video:

Lobitdepth

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
I have got Quake 3 running natively on Apple Silicon. You can build it from my fork on GitHub. The only downside is that the bytecode compiler isn't there, so the virtual machine won't be as fast. Then again, you probably won't notice the speed difference on modern computers.
Could you please let me know the build instructions on M1 ? I am too newb to understand from the docs ? I tried the macos instructions from the doc but I can't install brew install molten-vk because M1 not "supported"

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
Bump!

Is there a fully native app to play Quake3 Arena on a new Mac mini M2 with OS Ventura? Where??

And I agree with the original poster: Quake3 is the best game ever created, period!

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I'll have to wait for my new Mac mini M2 to arrive. For the moment, I still could play Q3 using my 12 years old Mac and Snow Leopard...
My 518 week old iMac 27" needs a direct replacement too it too.

Dream setup

- iMac 27" replacement that may have a 27", 30" or 32" 6K display
- M2 Pro with 32GB RAM & 512GB SSD
- Under $3k as the 2020 iMac 27" base model was repriced to $1999

Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.