Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumminelsewher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Sorry to re-post this.

I found the old thread and tried all of the solutions to fix my sound. But I still have no sound through my laptop speakers or my usb bose speakers. So far technical support has been a suckfest.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? I'm running it on a macbook pro (17 inch, new model)

drumminelsewher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I applied all the patches and had the same problem but then it went away when I rebooted. Try repair permissions and logging in as another user.

Well now I have sound through my laptop speakers but still nothing through my usb speakers.

This is quite frustrating, I bought the system for music and games and so far no games have worked off of the USB system.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
I just had a similar problem when trying to run the Doom 3 demo - apparently if you can't output sound at 24bit use the audio midi config utility in the apps folder to change sound output to 16bit. See if that works.

That said, I have issues of my own with games (what the hell, Apple, go give us switchers some decent graphics card drivers please!)

drumminelsewher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I just had a similar problem when trying to run the Doom 3 demo - apparently if you can't output sound at 24bit use the audio midi config utility in the apps folder to change sound output to 16bit. See if that works.

That said, I have issues of my own with games (what the hell, Apple, go give us switchers some decent graphics card drivers please!)

Ok when I get home i'll give that a shot.

the sound system is a bose companion 5. It sounds great when music is being played I can only imagine my games.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Well now I have sound through my laptop speakers but still nothing through my usb speakers.

This is quite frustrating, I bought the system for music and games and so far no games have worked off of the USB system.

Check the sound control panel in preferences to make sure the USB speakers are selected as the output.

drumminelsewher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Check the sound control panel in preferences to make sure the USB speakers are selected as the output.

I have on both accounts.

EA games said that they've been having problems with usb systems and quake 4 looks the same the way.

brockumpodness

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Springfield, MO
This Is The Fix

Problem:
An error says that OpenALL is not supported when you try to get the sound working in Quake 4 (for mac).

Solution:
1) open Audio MIDI Setup (do a spotlight search, it's easier)
2) once there, in "Properties For:" choose "Built-in Output."
3) then in "Audio Output" you'll see right by the "Format" 2ch-16bit/2ch-20bit/2ch-24bit. Choose from the scroll menu 2ch-16bit.
4) make sure the Hz is 44100.0Hz.

And the best thing is, THERE'S FINALLY SOUND!!!

Enjoy ;)

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Sorry to post on this old one, but the fix does not work with USB LACIE-Speakers.
They only do 48khz. I could not fix this issue regardless what I do. I can't find
anything on the web. Beside that "Prey,Doom3,Quake4" no sound at all, these
speakers are very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.