Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

recoman3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Sydney
I played the demo of this game on my sister's dell the other day and just loved it so much that I went snooping around for a release date (the game runs beautifully with maxed graphics (her notebook has same specs as my MBP, 2.4ghz, 2gb, 256mb gf8600M gt, 1920x1200 17"))..

Anywho, on the aspyr website there is a link to amazon when you choose to buy the game, and amazon says "Availability: This item will be released on November 1, 2007. Pre-order now! See details. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TDGYKS/aspyrmedia-20

Are amazon releases generally accurate? If it is accurate, now all I need is to find a way to get it to Australia, muahahaha...

OH, and what software do you use to get your G5 logitech mouse to work on your macs? I have usboverdrivehelper or whatever, but it gives an anoying popup everytime i switch the machine on...

P.S. I just switched from PC to mac, and I know one thing: I can never go back

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I played the demo of this game on my sister's dell the other day and just loved it so much that I went snooping around for a release date (the game runs beautifully with maxed graphics (her notebook has same specs as my MBP, 2.4ghz, 2gb, 256mb gf8600M gt, 1920x1200 17"))..

Anywho, on the aspyr website there is a link to amazon when you choose to buy the game, and amazon says "Availability: This item will be released on November 1, 2007. Pre-order now! See details. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TDGYKS/aspyrmedia-20

Are amazon releases generally accurate? If it is accurate, now all I need is to find a way to get it to Australia, muahahaha...

The question is, will the Mac version run anywhere near as good as the PC version on similar specced machines.

I have ET: QW demo running via bootcamp and it runs a treat but I don't want to lose that performance on a poorly ported version....

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Isn't the game out already? Well for PC anyways, you could always get the Boot Camp version, 100% guaranteed to be better than the Mac version.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The PC version came out here back in September, US on the 2nd.

I'm in 2 minds over this game. On one hand - Team Fortress 2. On the other - It was quite fun and felt like a proper mini war was going on.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
The PC version came out on October 2nd in the US, and September 28th in Australia( http://pc.ign.com/objects/748/748377.html ). Aspyr still hasn't released the specs on ETQW for the mac version yet, which they say they should do 4-6 weeks prior to launch. so we are looking at probably mid-november to december sometime. If it is this year at all. Since they used to pick the games that did well, and port them to mac, and for ETQW they annnounced they were porting it well before it was released, I suspect that it is probably because they assumed it would port over well, and thus would be worth the investment to do. But we will never know until release day. unless they grace us with a demo.:apple:

recoman3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Sydney
Isn't the game out already? Well for PC anyways, you could always get the Boot Camp version, 100% guaranteed to be better than the Mac version.

Well, instead of getting boot camp I can just play it on my sister's dell. But I would rather play it on my mac with OSx.. Plus I get the feeling that OSx 10.5 will somehow improve game performance (dunno where I heard this initially)..

Plus I have my thesis due on the 22nd of November, so computer games are a definite nono till then (save maybe during a few "breaks")..

Plus maybe its just me (and I mean no offence at all), but running windows on mac feels like wearing a condom inside out

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
OH, and what software do you use to get your G5 logitech mouse to work on your macs? I have usboverdrivehelper or whatever, but it gives an anoying popup everytime i switch the machine on...

That's odd I've had usboverdrive for years and no problems or pop ups. Do you have the latest update? I know there had been an issue with intel macs, but I think that was worked out.

The question is, will the Mac version run anywhere near as good as the PC version on similar specced machines.

I have ET: QW demo running via bootcamp and it runs a treat but I don't want to lose that performance on a poorly ported version....

I'm curious how that will work out and what the specs will be. Aspyr has ported Doom3, Quake4, and Prey which are all based on the same engine so maybe with all that experience the port will be decent. What has me concerned on the mac side is drivers for the GPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.