Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

How are you guys doing? I hope doing very well : )!!!

I am writing you guys from my mac ; )!!!

Sometimes, friends ask me to talk about a topic that I like. They find these little talks
fun and interesting.

They like the way I structure my talks. I usually introduce a subject and then I
give short little audio samples to support the talk.

It is as easy as that, and they are very happy with these talks!

To prepare these short audio samples before the talk begins, I log on to the internet.
These talks need places with an internet connection. Then I usually open six or seven
youtube tabs and have the tabs ready for the videos where the short audio samples will be
listened from during the talks.

In the six or seven videos videos chosen, I look for the minute and second that each
of these videos should start to play in order to support my talk.

It is a bit of a hassle that way and I also lose momentum sometimes.

That's why I would like to be able to record 'clips' from audio files from youtube or
other videos from the internet.

I would like to be able to take these short audio clips with me, either in a recorder,
or in my phone.

Is it possible? How do you recommend me to go about it?

I would like to record the short audio clips to a recorder like this one:

and/or

to my iPhone.

I thank you in advance : )!!! I look forward to any advice from yours or even a tutorial from the internet!!!

Very kind regards!

igmolinav : )!!!

P.S.1. If it is far more complicated to record the clips to a recorder or the phone, I would also be happy
recording it to my apple computer.

P.S.2. I am actually learning to use Keynote, just now!

Last edited:

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Hey brother. What you could do is get a decent mic and record that to your iPhone. A USB mic functions as an audio interface as well. Some good choices are the Shure MV88, and others. You can certainly use the iPhone's memo function; it's just that the mic quality is tinny. Not pleasant to the ear. There are some good mics out there. I hope this helps. https://www.podcastinsights.com/best-iphone-microphone/

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Hi,

How are you guys doing? I hope doing very well : )!!!

I am writing you guys from my mac ; )!!!

Sometimes, friends ask me to talk about a topic that I like. They find these little talks
fun and interesting.

They like the way I structure my talks. I usually introduce a subject and then I
give short little audio samples to support the talk.

It is as easy as that, and they are very happy with these talks!

To prepare these short audio samples before the talk begins, I log on to the internet.
These talks need places with an internet connection. Then I usually open six or seven
youtube tabs and have the tabs ready for the videos where the short audio samples will be
listened from during the talks.

In the six or seven videos videos chosen, I look for the minute and second that each
of these videos should start to play in order to support my talk.

It is a bit of a hassle that way and I also lose momentum sometimes.

That's why I would like to be able to record 'clips' from audio files from youtube or
other videos from the internet.

I would like to be able to take these short audio clips with me, either in a recorder,
or in my phone.

Is it possible? How do you recommend me to go about it?

I would like to record the short audio clips to a recorder like this one:

and/or

to my iPhone.

I thank you in advance : )!!! I look forward to any advice from yours or even a tutorial from the internet!!!

Very kind regards!

igmolinav : )!!!

P.S.1. If it is far more complicated to record the clips to a recorder or the phone, I would also be happy
recording it to my apple computer.

P.S.2. I am actually learning to use Keynote, just now!

Yes it is possible and you don't need a physical recorder either. The best approach is to download the Youtube video and strip out the video part and keep the audio portion only. I do this all the time, not for presentation, but sort of listening to them as an audio recording. The quality obviously is superb because you are getting the original audio from the original source. This method will only work with unprotected material. Any material that is protected by DMCA or Apple FairPlay won't work. For protected material, I use a Tascam DR-22WL recorder which is connected to my computer and I control the audio recorder via my iPhone as it has an iOS app to do that. I can then download the MP3 recorded materials directly into my iPhone through the app. That's the simplest way to go about it and I used to do that before I started using the computer to just download the audio portion directly into the computer, because it saves time. A 30min recording can be downloaded in a mere seconds rather than recording it in full for 30mins. Suffice to say, the majority of Youtube video works by downloading it because it's public domain material. You need 3 programs to achieve this.

1st program on your Mac.. ( I use VideoProc ) as I use that for video editing and compressing as well. It comes with a feature that download Youtube videos and also strips out the video to keep the audio.

This is a paid program, but the idea is simple. Run the program, cut and paste the Youtube link of the video you want to strip out the audio only and then download it. It's easy. It downloads it as an MP3 audio file.

2nd program on your Mac to "EDIT" the audio portion to keep the relevant audio part intact; a short audio clip so you don't have to search for that audio part during your speech. (I use Sound Studio), but a free program called Audacity will do just fine. What you want to also do with this audio program is to also "NORMALIZE" all your downloaded and edited audio clips, because many Youtube videos have different audio levels. This will help you "normalize" all the audio levels to be the same for all your audio clips so you don't have to adjust your iPhone all the time to raise or lower the audio output volume. You keep your volume the same. There is another Mac program called MP3GAIN which is free and does batch "NORMALIZING" if you feel uncomfortable doing it in Audacity. Or else, just experiment with Audacity to get all audio clips to have the same volume level.

3rd program or app will be for your iPhone to play all your audio clips. ( I use AirDiskPro ). This is a paid program which is essentially turning your iPhone into a portable WIFI audio player. Typically, after you had downloaded all your audio clips, you would upload them to your iPhone using iTunes. AirDiskPro eliminates this by allowing your audio clips to be uploaded into your iPhone using WIFI. So basically you run AirDiskPro, it will present to you an IP address which you will use to log into your iPhone using a normal web browser. And then it's just basically drag and drop and all your audio clips will be uploaded into your iPhone. And then like a normal audio cassette player, which AidrDiskPro behaves like, you can rename all these audio clips so you know which to play them in which order during your speech.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.