Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I am a student who is a webmaster (HTML and PHP). I currently have no good graphics program. I just use basics like GraphicConvert (can't do anything besides basics) and cheasy other things. Now that Illustrator and Photoshop are available for OS X and that Flash and Fireworks are coming soon (thinksecret.com), I've been thinking it's time to save up $$$ and buy a nice graphics program. But, I don't really know what to use. I would only need basics (more than GraphicConverter) and I've installed the Illustrator 10 Trial which I really like. Why is Photosphop $200 more? Would I benefit from that? Somebody give me some advice on what graphics program to buy.

Thanks,

-Kevin

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Illustrator is a vector program...use it do create vector artwork...u can use it to do some simple layouts. U can create editable eps files to import into other programs with it.

Photoshop is an image editing program....use it to edit photos....colors....etc etc. Photoshop is one of the top graphic applications u can get, therefore it's kinda expensive. U can create jpegs, gifs, eps files, tifs, and lots more with it.

To distinguish which u need depends all upon what kind of artwork u are doing. They are both beneficial when used together. Illustrator to create vector work (with type especially) and Photoshop to edit images (resolutions, colors, filter effects, etc. etc.)

I prefer Freehand over Illustrator though.....for me it's easier interface....but Illustrator can do more...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
if you are a student then your college should be able to help you out. most colleges have site liciences to most of the big apps. ask whoever is in charge at your school what site liciences your school holds. if you come up empty. then you can still get an academic version or discount depending on what app you choose. students NEVER should pay full price for anything, its just stupid and unnnecessary. having said that.

i would say photoshop would fill the average users needs just fine and you should be able to find it at a reasonable price through your university (maybe free). but like artboy said it really depends on your needs. there are a LOT of different types of graphics and a couple apps to fill each type. Stick to adobe and macromedia (adobe's slutty sister) and you should do good. IF you want 3d go for bryce.

also dont make any decision blind. after you hear people out here. find some way of using the app before buying. this might include going to an apple store nearby, going to your school's computer labs, asking a friend to let you play, or downloading a copy. only after you are sure of what you want should you shell out some serious money.

but like i said dont pay full price. you arent supposed to. the prices arent high because they are good apps (no app is that good) they are good because professionals use them to make some serious dough. Only the professional should be paying full price. So once you find something that suites your needs then start worrying about the prices, and you might be very pleasantly surprised.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Photoshop!

I'd say, go with Photoshop 7, and try to get a discount from your college. The Photoshop/ImageReady combo is great for web design work, everything form jpg, to gif to png. No other app will suit you better. If you want to do some creative work, then take a look at Flash. It's a bit difficult to begin with, but you can do some really cool stuff. The only thing I have ever used Illustrator for in web design is to design logos, and small artwork that is outputted to gifs (in Photoshop).

So...
Photoshop is a must
Flash is great for dynamic content
Illustrator is good for small vector graphics

These three apps are quite different in what they can and can not do. Therefore you'll have to consider them all. But you will probably end up using Photoshop the most.
If you find Photoshop to difficult, or simply do not like the app, then try out Fireworks.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Photoshop all the way!

PS 7 has some great new features (I'm so happy I finally scrounged up a BETA off the web:D ), plus the OS X compatibilty is reason enough to upgrade from 6. The one thing that most people forget about is that it comes with ImageReady which is awesome for web optimization, rollover creation and image maps. Like 'Lemon said, you're a student so it should be around $300 at your school bookstore. Look for rental copies too, that schools with site licenses have ($10-$15 to borrow the disc, install the program, return the disc).

About Flash:
I was really impressed with what I saw of LiveMotion2 at a recent Adobe seminar. Basic animation in much simpler than Flash, plus has full support for ActionScript, Javscript and outputs SWFs. You might want to check that one out.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Re: Photoshop all the way!

Well, it sounds like Photoshop is the better program, maybe. I was just wondering when Photoshop 7 will be available for academic purchases. I'll need to buy it probably within a month, maybe less.

Yes, I don't really want to pay the full $600 for it. That's not in my budget.

Thanks for all you replys!

Kevin

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I prefer Freehand over Illustrator though.....for me it's easier interface....but Illustrator can do more...

Wow, I would have said the exact opposite. Freehand has got a MAJOR palette identity crisis! That's the kind of program that makes a palettes monitor practically essential. But on the other hand, does a heck of a lot more (at least compared to AI9, but some of the stuff was added in 10).

I guess as always it just boils down to a matter of preference, but I've always preferred the AI pen tool and palettes. Not to mention the automatic anti-aliasing... (FH's Flash preview just doesn't cut it...)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
PS 7 availability

It should be out some time in April according to the most people, but Adobe is officially saying Q2, so it could be as late as June. :mad:
Make sure you talk to the people at your campus store to find out when they will get it in stock. The one at my university lags something fierce. They didn't have the iPod until last month!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Adobe Atmosphere

A while ago either in late 2000 or early 2001 I heard that Adobe was going to release a three dimensional graphics application, called Adobe Atmosphere 1.0. I can't guarentee you it will be as high priced as Director Shockwave Studio 8.5 or Strata 3D Pro 3.x, in which each costs around $1000. It probably won't be much cheaper, either. If I am not mistaken, Atmosphere should be OS X supported. I saw a preview of the graphics on it and they seemed much smoother than Strata 3D.

However, if you need something in two dimensions with vector plots, get Photoshop.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Academic prices way lower!

I just checked with academicsuperstore.com and Photoshop 7 is only $291 (compared to $609)!!!! I'm definetly going with that one! It's so cheap, but it won't be out until April something. I can't wait!

I'm pumped now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.