Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
hi,

I try to install a 9,1 GB harddisk to my SE/30 but I just can't get that &%$#^&@ thing to work... :(

the problem is that the computer can't recognize the drive even though several websites say it should work.

I formated the quantum in an beige G3 in standard format (HFS) but it still doesn't work.

- the machine is supposed to run system 7.5
- the HD is a Quantum Atlas V ultra160 SCSI

can anybody help me before I give it to an Apple dealer to have it installed by a technician?

thanks
vSpacken

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
update:

I formated und updated the drive with "Lido7" (I found it here...)

it should work, but it doesn't... :mad:

I figure that it has something to do with the jumper configuration, but I can't figure out what...

I would be very thankful if someone could help me out...

vSpacken

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Well I know the mac Plus is supposed to support up to 2TB of Hard Disk Space, so I assume the SE/30 would also.

I don't understand why you want a 9.1GB Hard Disk in a Mac SE/30.

The reason why the Hard Disk may not want to work is because the hard disk is Ultra160 SCSI the SE/30 has a normal SCSI bus, which may be too slow for the Ultra160 SCSI HD (Just guessing)

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
thanks,

I want to use the se/30 as a low budget fileserver, therefore the big HD...

I set the jumpers to "narrow-mode", this should fix the bus bandwidth issue.

I think I'll give the machine to an Apple technician to install it if noone else has any ideas - I can't fix it myself :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.