Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Too good to be true. I'm calling fake on this.

Even optical chips haven't debuted, yet.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Sounds like bollocks - but it's a bold move by the company to announce it.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Um ... this would be cool, I guess. Except that, as the blogger suggests, I'm concerned that if I had a consumer quantum computer I would somehow rend space-time irrevocably and trap myself in the 1600s or something.

Not that there aren't ways in which being trapped in the 1600's isn't appealing. But there's this nagging voice telling me that "thedude110's Excellent Adventure" wouldn't involve George Carlin at all ...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The hardest thing to believe is how low the power consumption is.

It's cryogenically cooled so the power consumption had better be really low.

Does anyone have specific numbers on the superior processing power of these chips compared to the current ones?

My understanding is that this 16 qubit processor is actually slower than a traditional chip, but they expect it to catch up through scaling.

B

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Does anyone have specific numbers on the superior processing power of these chips compared to the current ones?

You really cannot compare the current chips to this.
The Company's website says "...are not just faster than conventional computers. They change what computer scientists call the computational scaling of many problems."

Oh yeah this company is right in my city... they previewed it on Tuesday I missed it cause I had a class to teach :rolleyes: :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.