Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
UK only?

I'm taking this free tech support is not available in the U.S., yet? At least that's what I got from the article.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Free?

Quark is getting desperate! Last time I called them, however, I could not understand their technical support personnel because they were in INDIA! No wonder they can "give away" their technical support.

I'm an InDesign fan now.

-Aaron-

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Not giving up without a fight... expect massive discounts on Xpress 7.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
too little too late

For all the years and years they royally scr*wed their loyal customers in tech support, for all the years they charged a grand for an "upgrade" which, essentially, it's been the same program since 1992, for scr*wing over OS X for a couple years, and finally for having after introspection (or perhaps retrospection) having some of the most effed up menu placement and key commands this side of any M$ product, good riddance Quark, hope you die and go the way of so many pigheaded companies. It was fun while you lasted, now go join PageMaker in the graveyard of once-was products.

InDesign came, it saw, it kicked your arse!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
aarond12 said:
Quark is getting desperate! Last time I called them, however, I could not understand their technical support personnel because they were in INDIA! No wonder they can "give away" their technical support.
-Aaron-

Quark Technical Support in the UK puts you through to their call centre in Switzerland (the +41 number mentioned in the article). Believe me, I've had hours of fun with these people in the past... which often ends with them cutting me off while on hold.

Quark Technical Support – if that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Photorun said:
InDesign came, it saw, it kicked your arse!

Not yet, it hasn't.

Although Indesign has made a lot of running, real figures about market-share are difficult to find. My guess in the UK is that about 10-15% of studios are using InDesign although that may be a little generous.

More importantly, although having Indesign skills are usually 'desirable' in the job market, Quark skills are still essential to have.

Many of our printers and freelancers have not even moved to OS X yet and still want Quark 4/5 files...

I'm not saying which one is better, but just observing the state of the industry over here.

Quark 7, if aggressively priced and operationally stable, could stop the rot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.