Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
Can anyone list a few main differences with indesign that quark doesn't have? The only one I've read about so far is indesign has a feature for drop shadows (I think)? I'm going to try and grasp the workings of indesign once it's finished installing.

4.0 CS2 i've got here with alap InEffects and InTools (add-ons for InDesign)

cheers

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
In my opinion, InDesign is just a better app. I'm especially keen on its PDF support, which is very useful for proofing and going to press. Quark has been going downhill for many years now, and is just trying to keep its head above the water releasing updates. If you want real PDF support and good Adobe integration, definitely consider InDesign. I wrote a few words about it here a while back: http://www.redbugtech.com/weblogs/andrew.php?permalink=70

Good luck with the switch!

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
cheers for all the links very helpful, I suppose it's good in a way that i've learnt quark first as I've got a suspicion i'll be using InDesign alot more than quark once i've made the transition looking at all the features it has. I probably wouldn't have bothered with quark if I learnt Indesign first.

cheers

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I use Quark everyday at work and I use InDesign at home. InDesign is a far superior program. Among the features that I like are: built-in Preflight, full PDF export functionality (Quarks PDF Export is absoutely terrible), transparency, and the prize winner...If your computer bombs or the power goes out or whatever and you open InDesign again it will be exactly where you left it. No other application that I know of does that and I wish Adobe would roll that feature into their other apps (and with the amount of times Quark crashes they should have this feature).

On the other side, Quark's validation process for upgrades and installs is terrible! You have to go to their Web site, input multiple times these really long serial numbers for both the new and old versions (all on a site with little to no instructions) then they give you another long number which you input into the program. And then you have to go through the registering and activatation. Adobe's activation is all automatic. If you are simply upgrading, it does everything for you.

Quark had a monopoly for many years and therefore had no innovation (look how long it took them to get to OS X). Now that they have competition, they are finally starting to pull their act together. Quark 7 actually looks like it might be a decent program (because they have taken many of the things that InDesign does and added them to Quark). Quark 6 has added maybe three or four major new features since version 4, most of which are useless (who wants to edit images in a page-layout application or use Quark to make Web pages?).

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
baleensavage said:
Quark 6 has added maybe three or four major new features since version 4, most of which are useless (who wants to edit images in a page-layout application or use Quark to make Web pages?).

I disagree. Synchronised layouts and Quark Vista are great. Vista's not image-editing, it's non-destructive and makes layout a lot easier.

From what I've seen of InDesign's book tools I'm not that impressed.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Blue Velvet said:
I disagree. Synchronised layouts and Quark Vista are great. Vista's not image-editing, it's non-destructive and makes layout a lot easier.
From what I've seen of InDesign's book tools I'm not that impressed.

Synchronised layouts is one of the better features of Quark 6 (it's also supposed to be greatly expanded in 7). There is no comparable feature in InDesign. I have not used InDesign's book function, so I can't compare it to Quark's, which works well enough.

In terms of Quark Vista, I much prefer InDesign's method of right-clicking to just edit the image in Photoshop (you can also do this in Quark, but it takes an extra step). Quark will never give you the control that Photoshop will over an image. I can see Quark Vista being useful in a pinch if you had to be to press 5 minutes ago and that picture is just way too dark, but I really don't think that it is all Quark has hyped it up to be. As for the non-destructive editing, most graphic designers keep their originals separate anyway. Also, if there is a problem with an image that is used in a Quark page, I certainly would prefer to edit the linked image file so that the next time I use that image in something else, it has been corrected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.