Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
anyone stil use quark?
I work at a huge catalog company who recently finished their conversion to InDesign... Quark still making enough money to survive?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes – we've been waiting for this for a while...

Why not Indesign?
Workflow, retraining, bosses...

All good things come to those who wait.

Quark -- still fine for doing good work... just not ideal.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Interesting to note that many known or resolved issues with the update were only appearing with OS 10.3.3 or 10.3.5

We'll stay with 10.3.4 for the forseeable future...

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
greenmonsterman said:
anyone stil use quark?
I work at a huge catalog company who recently finished their conversion to InDesign... Quark still making enough money to survive?

Well, we still use it intermittently in my office, though InDesign is the clear favorite. Sometimes it's just too much work to deal with rebuilding a Quark file in InDesign just to make a few type changes.

As for them making money... I don't know how they'll be around for too much longer unless they figure out how to do something pretty darn impressive (and BETTER than Adobe) pretty quick.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
greenmonsterman said:
anyone stil use quark?

You´ll be surprised of the number of graphic pros out there that refuses to try a new tool because they´re so comfortable with their current. What I don´t get is that they don´t even seem tempted by that copy of InDesign that "comes for free" when they upgrade Photoshop to the CS package.

I guess it´s not only down to the Mac operator but also the administration of their company. Why alter a winning solution? A bit like Windows users unwilling to give the Mac a go, I suppose :(

Also, although I use InDesign 90% of the time when doing layouts I still need Xpress for those odd jobs that for different reasons require so. Whenever I find myself working in Xpress I realise how superiour a tool InDesign has become. So I agree with zwida that Quark really need to get their act together. Still, I don´t care anymore…

davecomp

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
downloading it right now got to give it to quark not makeing us pay more for this update finaly i get a break on the 1000 price tag
Dave

ju5tin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2004
London
Hmmmm.....

I've just downloaded the updater and installed it...
.PSD files are still greyed out when I try to get picture... I thought we could import them now... Is there something I'm supposed to do or a setting I need to change????
:rolleyes:

PS this is my first post! :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Belly-laughs said:
You´ll be surprised of the number of graphic pros out there that refuses to try a new tool because they´re so comfortable with their current. What I don´t get is that they don´t even seem tempted by that copy of InDesign that "comes for free" when they upgrade Photoshop to the CS package.

The larger/busier the organisation, the more thought needs to be put into changing over. We have Creative Suite and will definitely get round to changing at some point but if we can get the same work done now with a minimum of fuss than that's the way things are... also, I've heard that some people don't like Indesign's Illustrator-like interface...

But that's a whole new kettle of fish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.