Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm currently on a MB Air 2017, which I often use in clamshell, using a Logitech K380 BT keyboard, a wireless mouse and hardwired monitor. I am considering the purchase of the M2 Mini as a dedicated desktop (keeping the Air as my work travel device).
Insofar as I've only ever done an Apple first boot / setup on a laptop - so connectivity to the keyboard / trackpad not (supposed to be) an issue, here's my question -

During the first boot / setup, there will come a point where it will ask for input on the installation / connections. Does the OS recognize it hasn't got a hardwired keyboard / mouse attached and ask first if the user wants to connect to them - before it asks for other information?
Or does one need a hardwired keyboard to complete first boot, and only then can you choose to add the (3rd Party) BT keyboard?

I wouldn't want to get through a significant part of first boot only to find I'm stuck unable to complete it because it can't find a keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

pws442

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I am placing faith in this YouTube clip: "Setup Mac Mini M1 for the First Time (Step by Step Full Setup)". It says to use HDMI to display, the supplied power cord; if you have Apple keyboard/mouse/trackpad, you are OK when they are turned on. This display shows something like what you have being connected to the USB ports.

Hope that helps. I have a M1 Mini, and initialized via USB-A to my non-Apple keyboard/mouse and Thunderbolt to my LG 5K monitor. I then switched to the BT Apple Keyboard/Mouse. I will get a M2 Pro Mini in a couple of weeks, and will use my extra Apple Keyboard/Trackpad, along with a HDMI display to start. Then will come Migration Assistant. The latter worked for my 2016 MBP to my M2 MBA.

Good luck! Please post back as to how everything went.

Sonoran49

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2022
I am placing faith in this YouTube clip: "Setup Mac Mini M1 for the First Time (Step by Step Full Setup)". It says to use HDMI to display, the supplied power cord; if you have Apple keyboard/mouse/trackpad, you are OK when they are turned on. This display shows something like what you have being connected to the USB ports.

Hope that helps. I have a M1 Mini, and initialized via USB-A to my non-Apple keyboard/mouse and Thunderbolt to my LG 5K monitor. I then switched to the BT Apple Keyboard/Mouse. I will get a M2 Pro Mini in a couple of weeks, and will use my extra Apple Keyboard/Trackpad, along with a HDMI display to start. Then will come Migration Assistant. The latter worked for my 2016 MBP to my M2 MBA.

Good luck! Please post back as to how everything went.

Pws442, I found the YT video you mentioned and it did show the setup using an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

The Logitech BT keyboard you have ... does it have any ability to connect via a USB cable, as well?

If so, connect it that way for "first boot".

Re:
"Ive read set up requires an apple keyboard"

I haven't used an Apple keyboard in many many years.
Setup works just fine with 3rd party (wired) keyboards.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Very good question but because I gave up on all wireless keyboards, mice and trackpads over two years ago, I can't advise unfortunately. IMO nothing beats the reassurance of connecting human interface devices to a computer using cables. Along with the near-constant drop-off and reconnect of my devices that drove me insane, I can't tell you how much 'fun' I had trying to put my old iMac into recovery mode with Cmd R on its Apple BT keyboard, which the computer didn't pair with until had it had already booted MacOS (so, too late to go into recovery). Never again am I going through that farcical shenanigans.

Reactions: Chuckeee and gradi

stlsports

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2022
I'm currently on a MB Air 2017, which I often use in clamshell, using a Logitech K380 BT keyboard, a wireless mouse and hardwired monitor. I am considering the purchase of the M2 Mini as a dedicated desktop (keeping the Air as my work travel device).
Insofar as I've only ever done an Apple first boot / setup on a laptop - so connectivity to the keyboard / trackpad not (supposed to be) an issue, here's my question -

During the first boot / setup, there will come a point where it will ask for input on the installation / connections. Does the OS recognize it hasn't got a hardwired keyboard / mouse attached and ask first if the user wants to connect to them - before it asks for other information?
Or does one need a hardwired keyboard to complete first boot, and only then can you choose to add the (3rd Party) BT keyboard?

I wouldn't want to get through a significant part of first boot only to find I'm stuck unable to complete it because it can't find a keyboard.

Thanks in advance.
When I got my M1 mini, I had to dig up a hardwired usb keyboard/mouse. Pretty sure the M2 will be the same initially.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
With Apple wireless keyboards, you plug ‘em in to pair it so no worries. If you have a 3rd party Bluetooth keyboard, my guess is you’ll need a USB one to get to the point where you can pair the Bluetooth.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
When I got my M1 mini, I had to dig up a hardwired usb keyboard/mouse. Pretty sure the M2 will be the same initially.

When I did a clean OS re-install last month, had the same situation. I use Logitech MX peripherals which don't have an option to hardwire to the computer. No clue why Logitech put in such a dumb limitation.

To answer OP: Once the computer initially boots up to perform OS setup, it will complain about missing keyboard/mouse.

Reactions: Beyo

gradi

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2022
The M1 iMac comes with just a Bluetooth Magic keyboard and Magic mouse. I suppose when people first start them up it works.

pws442

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Pws442, I found the YT video you mentioned and it did show the setup using an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.
As I said: if you have Apple BT stuff, just turn them on; else USB. The video shows both methods.

• Angry
Reactions: Beyo

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you have the Apple keyboard & mouse, no worries. Worst case you’ll have to plug them into the computer during setup. The video indicates that they might pair wirelessly too, which is fine - as long as they’re not already paired to a different device, like mine was (the old Mini). So I plugged my keyboard into the new mini, that paired it up, and good to go now.

Reactions: ferences

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Hmm. Sounds like 'Results may vary' above. So, very Apple.

Might not risk it and just pick up a wired keyboard (and maybe mouse) from Value Village for a couple of bucks, get thru boot and then connect up the BT.

Tedious.

Thanks for the replies.

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań

Thanks in advance.
Don’t switch, you will be stuck as it cannot find the keyboard. I am surprised nobody even took legal action against Apple for this.

Reactions: Bazza1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.