Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Meta announced in their Q3 2022 earnings call that the Quest 3 will be announced and released next year

They estimate it will cost between $300-500 with different spec tiers.

If you were thinking into getting into VR, it would probably be better to wait for next year for the Quest 3, unless you want a headset for PCVR now.

Man, PlayStation VR 2, Apple Reality, and now Meta Quest 3. Next year is gonna be the year of VR.

Last edited:

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
VR is so fragmented right now , first , if you are PCVR , you are done for , as Quest2 is a must headset to support for every SW developer that is not supplying an exclusive for Playstation , and that headset is weak which mean the games looks worse then they could be on the cutting edge , interesting to see the development towards the Oculus Pro.

The advantage of PC early days were the fact everything was windows basically , which at least made development easier.

I am going to wait for next year to decide which headset will be my first !!!

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
VR has gotten off to a rocky start, and it's a bit funny that Facebook is the current market leader as everyone makes fun of the metaverse. Apple will take it off for sure.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
VR has gotten off to a rocky start, and it's a bit funny that Facebook is the current market leader as everyone makes fun of the metaverse. Apple will take it off for sure.

In AR yeah. VR though, lol no. Tim Cook's made it clear their focus is on AR since they can apply life stuff to AR. VR is a lot more tricky to integrate into daily life. You ain't gonna be outside in VR lmao.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
In AR yeah. VR though, lol no. Tim Cook's made it clear their focus is on AR since they can apply life stuff to AR. VR is a lot more tricky to integrate into daily life. You ain't gonna be outside in VR lmao.
OK maybe it will be an AR headset and not VR, but technically we don't know it won't do both yet I suppose

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I just saved and bought a quest 2 and love it but see massive room for improvements and I’m excited what the future will bring

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
I did not wait and bought a Quest pro. I'm very happy with it. My usage is mostly work on my macbook pro together with the quest pro. I can easliy see what I type and have big clear multi monitors.

I barely use the controllers and mostly use my hands to surfe the web, watch movies and listen to music or read kindle books. I wanted a stand alone device so the quest pro fits well for my needs.

I think the quest 3 will have the same cpu as the quest pro but without face tracking, It does not make sense to make a quest 3 that has a newer cpu with a lower price range.

I do not get any pain when wearing the quest pro at all. You need to adjust it so it fits good.

I do use my quest pro for more than 8 h a day with no issues. I do take breaks now and then but I really like it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I did not wait and bought a Quest pro. I'm very happy with it. My usage is mostly work on my macbook pro together with the quest pro. I can easliy see what I type and have big clear multi monitors.

I barely use the controllers and mostly use my hands to surfe the web, watch movies and listen to music or read kindle books. I wanted a stand alone device so the quest pro fits well for my needs.

I think the quest 3 will have the same cpu as the quest pro but without face tracking, It does not make sense to make a quest 3 that has a newer cpu with a lower price range.

I do not get any pain when wearing the quest pro at all. You need to adjust it so it fits good.

I do use my quest pro for more than 8 h a day with no issues. I do take breaks now and then but I really like it.

What kind of work do you do? CAD models?

Twelvethirtythree

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
I use my Quest 2 for programming. I have a 13inch MBP M1 and the screen is too small. The Quest 2 is great for having a larger screen and I imagine the Quest Pro is much better. I wanted to get the Quest Pro but I heard all the rumors about Reality Pro so now I’m just waiting.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I use my Quest 2 for programming. I have a 13inch MBP M1 and the screen is too small. The Quest 2 is great for having a larger screen and I imagine the Quest Pro is much better. I wanted to get the Quest Pro but I heard all the rumors about Reality Pro so now I’m just waiting.

The only benefit of using a Quest Pro over a Quest 2 is it has color passthrough and it's a lot lighter. The Quest 3 this year may have color passthrough as well, so unless you're an engineer who works with CAD or a VR/AR developer I don't see much a reason to need a Quest Pro. Meta made it clear the Pro is meant for STEM work, and the numbered Quests for everyone else.

On the other hand, the Quest Pro's controllers are really damn good and miles better since there's no more rings to worry about. However the Quest 2 can use the pro controllers, so...yeah

Twelvethirtythree

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
The only benefit of using a Quest Pro over a Quest 2 is it has color passthrough and it's a lot lighter. The Quest 3 this year may have color passthrough as well, so unless you're an engineer who works with CAD or a VR/AR developer I don't see much a reason to need a Quest Pro. Meta made it clear the Pro is meant for STEM work, and the numbered Quests for everyone else.

On the other hand, the Quest Pro's controllers are really damn good and miles better since there's no more rings to worry about. However the Quest 2 can use the pro controllers, so...yeah
Also the pancake lenses are much clearer than the Quest 2 lenses. The lenses and color pass through were the main reasons I wanted it.

Regardless, I’ll be skipping all Quest products once Reality is released.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Also the pancake lenses are much clearer than the Quest 2 lenses. The lenses and color pass through were the main reasons I wanted it.

Regardless, I’ll be skipping all Quest products once Reality is released.

Unless Reality doesn't have much app support or sideloading, or lets you plug it into a PC.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I would be very surprised and very disappointed if Reality doesn’t let me hook up my Mac. If that’s the case, I’ll be picking up one of those discounted Pros off Amazon.

The Quest Pro has a super, super low res display compared to what Apple will be releasing. I like my Quest 2 for now and have tried a Pro, the displays are quite similar in terms of resolution and contrast. But I do think Apple will be making those devices look like 8-bit game consoles by comparison.

Reactions: Twelvethirtythree

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
I have been using the quest pro everyday since release. I hate using my phone or tablet. The AR experience is unmatched on the quest pro for now. I really enjoy using it. I think apple will probably do better In Terms of the Apple ecosystem

Reactions: classic1931
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.