Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurray

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2008
So my 5s came today and I'm trying to get it set up and running. I had thought that all I needed to do was swap my 4g sim from my old 5 to my new 5s and then sync it with iTunes. Imagine my confusion when I saw that the new 5s came with it's own sim card. The directions say to call a number from a separate line to activate LTE. Do I really need to do all this? Will simply putting my old sim in my new phone not work?

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
This is what I did. I had a black iphone 5 and my GF a iphone 4. I used her upgrade to get the gold 5s and gave her the black 5. When the gold 5s came in the mail I took the gold 5s sim card and stuck it in the black iphone 5, and the and the black iphone 5's sim card and stuck it in the gold 5s. Since my black iphone 5 was already using a sim card the gold 5s activated fine, but the black iphone 5 I gave my GF didn't so I went to verizon's web site and activated it. You don't need to make any phone calls.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Try plugging it in to iTunes. I got the message that the phone was not activated with a number to call, but I plugged it in to iTunes then rebooted it while still plugged in and when it came back on it said activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.