Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay (Transaction Defaults): Default Card, Shipping Address, Email, Phone

When I make a purchase using Apple Pay, how are these defaults used? Are they provided to the business I'm making a transaction with? For example, if I make a purchase online, my default email will be used on their records? Will it be used to send me my receipt? Or is it just for security purposes?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay (Transaction Defaults): Default Card, Shipping Address, Email, Phone

When I make a purchase using Apple Pay, how are these defaults used? Are they provided to the business I'm making a transaction with? For example, if I make a purchase online, my default email will be used on their records? Will it be used to send me my receipt? Or is it just for security purposes?
Default card is the first one that will always be shown to you when you bring up apple pay either online or at a physical store. It will still be up to you to authorize payment with that card using your face or fingerprint or select a different card.

Similarly, your default shipping address is the first one you will be shown when you attempt to make a purchase online using apple pay, but you can always select another one before making the payment.

Your email and phone number are only used to contact you regarding online purchases in process (such as for shipping, order cancellations, order updates, etc).

Note that none of that information is ever transmitted when using apple pay at a physical location. In those cases, all that is sent to the store’s terminal is the
“card” information associated to the device you are using, which is different to that of your actual physical card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.