Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maria255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
I am thinking of purchasing an Apple TV. What is the difference between the Apple TV+; Apple TV 4k; and Apple TV HD? I have an HD TV. Which Apple TV should I purchase?

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
You would want to purchase the Apple TV 4K (the newest model available). The Apple TV HD is one generation older.
4K = 5th gen, HD = 4th gen.

The 4K model will still work on your HD TV. Plus, the 4K model will get software updates for a longer period of time.

Apple TV+ is the name for Apple's TV streaming service.

Maria255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
You would want to purchase the Apple TV 4K (the newest model available). The Apple TV HD is one generation older.
4K = 5th gen, HD = 4th gen.

The 4K model will still work on your HD TV. Plus, the 4K model will get software updates for a longer period of time.

Apple TV+ is the name for Apple's TV streaming service.
Thank you so much!!

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I am thinking of purchasing an Apple TV. What is the difference between the Apple TV+; Apple TV 4k; and Apple TV HD? I have an HD TV. Which Apple TV should I purchase?

The Apple TV is a physical device that you connect to your TV with an HDMI cable and install apps on it, such as Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max, Fox Sports, etc. It also has the Apple TV app installed on it.

The TV app is an aggregator app that pulls in content from various providers, like those mentioned above, and is a one-stop-shop for keeping up with what you are watching and discovering new content to enjoy. Through the TV app you can also subscribe to various Channels such CBS All Access, Showtime, AMC+ and Apple TV+. There is no subscription to use the TV app.

Apple TV+ requires a subscription to view the majority of the content and it is billed through your iTunes account. A subscription to TV+ does NOT give you access to everything you can find in the TV app; only to the TV+ content.

As others have suggested, buy the Apple TV 4K device.

Reactions: iAssimilated

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I had a couple Apple TV3's for many years but replaced them a year ago with refurbished Apple TV4's (aka "Apple TV HD") because the old ones didn't support Sling. If you can find a refurb Apple TV HD in Apple's store, it will be considerably cheaper than the 4k version, which is why I went with it (I needed two). I don't have a 4k TV and really didn't want to spend the extra $$.

If you read the forums, plenty of complaints about both the HD and 4K versions. Personally, I would love to have just kept the old Apple TV 3's if they would support Sling, much more stable, better remote and more attractive user interface IMO. Not really interested in games or apps, I just use it to watch TV and access my large iTunes library with home sharing.

There have been lots of rumors about a new Apple TV but many are still skeptical. But if true, this might be a bad time to get the 4k version.

"Apple is working on an updated version of the Apple TV that will allegedly have gaming focus with an updated remote control, a faster processor, and increased storage capacity. Signs of the new Apple TV have been showing up in iOS since January 2020, so we are expecting to see a new Apple TV launch in 2021."

Maria255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
The Apple TV is a physical device that you connect to your TV with an HDMI cable and install apps on it, such as Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max, Fox Sports, etc. It also has the Apple TV app installed on it.

The TV app is an aggregator app that pulls in content from various providers, like those mentioned above, and is a one-stop-shop for keeping up with what you are watching and discovering new content to enjoy. Through the TV app you can also subscribe to various Channels such CBS All Access, Showtime, AMC+ and Apple TV+. There is no subscription to use the TV app.

Apple TV+ requires a subscription to view the majority of the content and it is billed through your iTunes account. A subscription to TV+ does NOT give you access to everything you can find in the TV app; only to the TV+ content.

As others have suggested, buy the Apple TV 4K device.
Thank you!

Reactions: mallbritton

Maria255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Thank you!
I had a couple Apple TV3's for many years but replaced them a year ago with refurbished Apple TV4's (aka "Apple TV HD") because the old ones didn't support Sling. If you can find a refurb Apple TV HD in Apple's store, it will be considerably cheaper than the 4k version, which is why I went with it (I needed two). I don't have a 4k TV and really didn't want to spend the extra $$.

If you read the forums, plenty of complaints about both the HD and 4K versions. Personally, I would love to have just kept the old Apple TV 3's if they would support Sling, much more stable, better remote and more attractive user interface IMO. Not really interested in games or apps, I just use it to watch TV and access my large iTunes library with home sharing.

There have been lots of rumors about a new Apple TV but many are still skeptical. But if true, this might be a bad time to get the 4k version.

"Apple is working on an updated version of the Apple TV that will allegedly have gaming focus with an updated remote control, a faster processor, and increased storage capacity. Signs of the new Apple TV have been showing up in iOS since January 2020, so we are expecting to see a new Apple TV launch in 2021."

Thank you!

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.