Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I received a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch, non-Touch Bar model, three days ago and it had 3 battery cycles on it. Up to now I have had it plugged in only long enough to charge the battery and then used it while on battery power. My questions have to do with how to best manage the battery on this machine.

1. Is it ok to leave the laptop plugged in all night - typically 6-8 hours?
2. Does it damage the battery, or reduce overall battery life, to leave it plugged in all the time?

I use a work-provided 2012 MacBook Pro and it has to be plugged in all the time because the battery only charges to about 90% and then drains fast. I would like to have the battery on my 2017 MBP last as long as possible.. I'm hoping to use the laptop for at least 5 years.

Last edited:

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
2. Does it damage the battery, or reduce overall battery life, to leave it plugged in all the time?

1 - Yes
2 - No

You're gonna get a lot of "opinions" about this subject (you know what they say about opinions, right).
Look... Just use your Mac the way it's most convenient for YOU. Keep in mind that deep cycling will cause more wear (deep cycling is constantly complete discharging and complete recharging).

Our Mac's battery management systems are good at doing their thing.
Leaving it plugged in all the time is fine. When the battery is charged, it will stop charging. For example, as I type this, my MBP is plugged in. And, if I look at my Mac's Power management information, the battery is fully charged and is NOT charging (see screen-shot). If I disconnect and go mobile for an hour or so, then come back and connect to AC power, it will charge until full and stop charging.

upload_2019-1-5_9-27-32.png

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
1 - Yes
2 - No

You're gonna get a lot of "opinions" about this subject (you know what they say about opinions, right).
Look... Just use your Mac the way it's most convenient for YOU. Keep in mind that deep cycling will cause more wear (deep cycling is constantly complete discharging and complete recharding).

Our Mac's battery management systems are good at doing their thing.
Leaving it plugged in all the time is fine. When the battery is charged, it will stop charging. For example, as I type this, my MBP is plugged in. And, if I look at my Mac's Power management information, the battery is fully charged and is NOT charging (see screen-shot). If I disconnect and go mobile for an hour or so, then come back and connect to AC power, it will charge until full and stop charging.

View attachment 814212
Thank you very much. This is my first Apple laptop and I want to treat it right.. I still can't believe it's a refurb.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
What I would do - once a month, unplug it, use the computer like normal and let the battery run down to 10-20%, and then plug it back in.

Reactions: revmacian

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I just use mine as I need. Often that is plugged in at my desk. But, I also occasionally take it down to living room or a coffee shop and use it unplugged. Works great. Did the same with my previous Mac Book Pros and had no issues with battery life.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I just use mine as I need. Often that is plugged in at my desk. But, I also occasionally take it down to living room or a coffee shop and use it unplugged. Works great. Did the same with my previous Mac Book Pros and had no issues with battery life.

This.

I wouldn’t stress about it. I have been through phases of it being largely desk bound and phases where I’m doing about half to theee-quarter cycle per day. Ultimately it’s not worth worrying about. Come the three year mark (or thereabouts) I expect I will still have 75% or more, and then it’s a case of determining whether to let it limp on with the current battery until a less problematic MBPro is released (hopefully soon), or replace the battery and give it a new lease of life for a few years.

No matter what you do - chemistry is chemistry, and it’s still a PITA to replace in any case.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
This.

I wouldn’t stress about it. I have been through phases of it being largely desk bound and phases where I’m doing about half to theee-quarter cycle per day. Ultimately it’s not worth worrying about. Come the three year mark (or thereabouts) I expect I will still have 75% or more, and then it’s a case of determining whether to let it limp on with the current battery until a less problematic MBPro is released (hopefully soon), or replace the battery and give it a new lease of life for a few years.

No matter what you do - chemistry is chemistry, and it’s still a PITA to replace in any case.
Good point, I keep forgetting that you can actually have the battery replaced I these machines. But, as you said, I may be in the market for a new laptop when that time comes.

anpaman

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2018
I received a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch, non-Touch Bar model, three days ago and it had 3 battery cycles on it. Up to now I have had it plugged in only long enough to charge the battery and then used it while on battery power. My questions have to do with how to best manage the battery on this machine.

I use a work-provided 2012 MacBook Pro and it has to be plugged in all the time because the battery only charges to about 90% and then drains fast. I would like to have the battery on my 2017 MBP last as long as possible.. I'm hoping to use the laptop for at least 5 years.

When you check with Battery Health 2 App.

Does the health is 100 % ?

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't have that app installed. But, in the System Report, the health condition is listed as Normal.

if you want an app I can recommend CoconutBattery, great at keeping track of battery health.

But as others have said, don't think to much about it. The battery management system does a great job and the user does not have to do too much.

Personally I try to avoid running the battery to hot, ie reaching really high temperatur. So if you are in a hot climate, don't leave it in the sun and such things. and then I prefer not to go under 20% in my daily use, but not a big deal if I do.
In the end, my machine is a tool, and my care for it should not limit how I use it

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
if you want an app I can recommend CoconutBattery, great at keeping track of battery health.

But as others have said, don't think to much about it. The battery management system does a great job and the user does not have to do too much.

Personally I try to avoid running the battery to hot, ie reaching really high temperatur. So if you are in a hot climate, don't leave it in the sun and such things. and then I prefer not to go under 20% in my daily use, but not a big deal if I do.
In the end, my machine is a tool, and my care for it should not limit how I use it
Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. Using the machine that way I want will bring much more enjoyment than constantly worry about battery life. Lithium based batteries don't do well with high temperatures, so I'll keep an eye on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.