Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
When playing FPS like CS:S, DOD:S, F.E.A.R, etc...What's the minimum amount of framerate I can have before I experience noticeable drop in performance?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Depends. How good are your eyes?
If you're a heavy gamer playing FPS, you might not like it if your framerate drops below 40 or 50. Especially if you like moving your mouse quickly.

If you aren't, 30's usually more than playable with most FPS. Some games cap framerates, I suppose to save power and heat. FPS often cap at about 60.

For RTS, I would say you want to keep it above 25, but it doesn't matter so much. CNC3 is capped at 30fps.

So, 30 fps is a good approximation.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
I generally go for 30fps, but for some games that can go far lower - eg, WoW seems to look fairly good all the way down to 10

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
Not so sure about other games, but in Halo you can run the timedemo.txt option which will run a short preview of the game and then write a text file which can be accessed by clicking the timedemo.txt icon. This text file will give the the current settings of the game and the framerate.
I have a Powerbook g4 1.25gHz with 756 RAM and Halo runs at 22-24 fps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.