Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I just received my quote from the "Business Manager" at the local Apple store. I have to purchase through my wife's company so the quote is just for the 12" iBook without any upgrades.

However, I would like to upgrade to the 60gb drive. When I bring them the company check do you think I can just add the upgrade then and pay the difference myself. I think it's only $50 for the upgrade.

Also, if I am able to upgrade, do I have to wait long for the upgrade?

Thanks for your help. I am getting ready to purchase my first iBook and I'm not very familiar with dealing with Apple.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If you're buying at an actual Apple Store, then, sadly, you can't upgrade anything for the PBs (except buy very overpriced RAM). If the deal you're getting is a good one, I'd just accept the smaller drive and maybe buy an external.

However, are you sure you can't order online?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
deepisland said:
No, I called Apple and they said I can only buy at the store using a company check.

Can you take the check to the company store and have them do a special/bto order, so you pay there but get it sent to you from the factory?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm sorry to hear that - but at least you get (hopefully) a good price. However, it is possible to replace the internal drive - although that's a tedious task. Your best bets are:

(1) Just buy online and pay full retail but get the system you want.
(2) Buy a 14" iBook, which comes with the 60GB drive (and DVD burner).
(3) Buy the iBook you mentioned, and spend ~$120 or so on an external portable drive like a LaCie 40GB (or spend more on a larger drive).

Best of luck, any way you decide.

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
Can you take the check to the company store and have them do a special/bto order, so you pay there but get it sent to you from the factory?

I have to take the check to the store. I'm just not sure what their policy is on upgrades. I read on the forums that sometimes they keep iBooks with bigger HD's in stock because it's a popular upgrade.

Thanks again for the advice. I have been wanting to buy an iBook for a long time.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
deepisland said:
I read on the forums that sometimes they keep iBooks with bigger HD's in stock because it's a popular upgrade.
I hope that they have one for you. Best of luck!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
deepisland said:
Thanks for your help.

If I can't get the upgrade I'm just going to buy an external HD and make it a network drive.
That would work quite well. If you don't mind a non-portable drive (and it sounds like you don't), you'll get a lot more for your money (vs a portable drive).

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I have a Dell laptop now with a 30gb drive and have barely 5gb filled. I don't think having a 40gb in my iBook will be a big problem.

An external drive would be nice because I would like to share files between computers.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
I have a Dell laptop now with a 30gb drive and have barely 5gb filled. I don't think having a 40gb in my iBook will be a big problem.
My iBook's 37GB (40GB before format) fills up really quick.
OSX Tiger alone takes up approximately 10GB unless you do a custom install and leave off the language packs and printer drivers.

An external drive would be nice because I would like to share files between computers.
Internal drives can also share files between computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.