Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I'm considering replacing my Z-Wave wall switches with the iDevices Wall Switch once it releases this fall. Before that, I think I'm going to get their plug-in Switch to play with it's reliability, HomeKit functionality, etc. One thing I'm curious about is to whether or not you can change the type of device it controls as it's seen by HomeKit (a question that'll also apply to Wall Switch this fall)?

That is to say, does the switch *have* to be seen by HomeKit as a binary switch, or can it be classified as a light bulb or a fan? It would be less than optimal if I tell Siri "Turn off the lights in the living room" and the fan goes off, or if I tell Siri to turn on the living room lights and the fan comes on along with them.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Any particular reason for iDevices? I've read mixed reviews on their plugs. I've used non-HomeKit Lutron switches/hub and they were solid. I've seen decent reviews on their HomeKit hub. Using Insteon instead now but haven't tried their HomeKit hub yet. I've read the current one is ok, but it's missing some features I want.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Mostly just that I don't care for the form factor of their switches. Plus, it'd be nice to not have yet-another-hub to try to find a spot for. Their HomeKit product puts focus almost exclusively on in wall dimmer switches, which obviously wouldn't be as useful for controlling ceiling fans. They also tend to be a bit more expensive, and I honestly don't need a bunch of Pico remotes laying around the house.

Edited to add: I suppose I should apply the same question to the Caséta line though, can you specify in home kit whether a switch controls a light, fan, or otherwise?

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Actually, maybe you can shed some light... why is there almost exclusive focus on the dimmer switches with the Caseta, and almost none on the on/off switches (which Lutron calls the in-wall neutral switch, I believe)? I don't need dimming functions for many of the light fixtures in my home, especially not the ceiling fans, yet they seem to be difficult to find. Apple doesn't even have them listed on their site, and Amazon lists them at $64.95, even more expensive than the in-wall Dimmer switch that comes with the Pico remote.

The Insteon switches do look closer to the look that I'm looking for, but I read that there were reliability issues with them, as well. No better than the iDevices switches, unless they've improved. So, I guess six of one, half a dozen of the other, really.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Actually, maybe you can shed some light... why is there almost exclusive focus on the dimmer switches with the Caseta, and almost none on the on/off switches (which Lutron calls the in-wall neutral switch, I believe)?

Because that's what Lutron does and is known for, lighting, and in particular it's founders invention, the dimmer switch. :)

Reactions: robnbill

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Yeah, their build quality felt great to me, but the buttons were a bit too flush for me. I like the shape of the Insteon switches better but I wish they felt a bit more solid. I've only used the newer Insteon stuff (past year or so) and they've been good so far. I haven't had any weird issues yet.
As for specifying what the switch controls, I don't see why not. You need to give each device a unique name for Siri anyways. I've tried naming a lamp all sorts of things including names that are not just "xxxx light". So that switch, you should be able to name it so you can ask Siri to "turn on kitchen lights/floor lamp/coffee maker/etc". Otherwise people buying outlets would only be able to say "turn on the kitchen number 3 outlet".

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
I'm considering replacing my Z-Wave wall switches with the iDevices Wall Switch once it releases this fall. Before that, I think I'm going to get their plug-in Switch to play with it's reliability, HomeKit functionality, etc. One thing I'm curious about is to whether or not you can change the type of device it controls as it's seen by HomeKit (a question that'll also apply to Wall Switch this fall)?

That is to say, does the switch *have* to be seen by HomeKit as a binary switch, or can it be classified as a light bulb or a fan? It would be less than optimal if I tell Siri "Turn off the lights in the living room" and the fan goes off, or if I tell Siri to turn on the living room lights and the fan comes on along with them.
I've played with these switches - initially I had problems and returned them. Bought them again - and now with the latest firmware and their app - they are reliable. These are just the plug-in switches. Their other switches - from what I read - should be available soon. I'm guessing after this years WWDC in June. I'm also hoping for the availability of new HK compatible devices. We have a lot of Z-Wave plugs and in-wall switches controlled by a Vera hub. We are going to look hard at the Luton Hub (HK Pro version) and decide if we should go that route or start transitioning just to iDevices -- TBD.

The JTizzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Maine

Hey currently rocking 3 of these switches in our place. You can classify it as a fan or a switch, but the led "night light" that is on the switch takes the classification as the bulb since you can control them independently from each other. That help?

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Hey currently rocking 3 of these switches in our place. You can classify it as a fan or a switch, but the led "night light" that is on the switch takes the classification as the bulb since you can control them independently from each other. That help?

Yep, totally does, thanks! I went ahead and got one to test. The setup (with the old firmware) was absolutely atrocious and took forever to get it through several failed pairing attempts. After it updated to the new firmware though it was like a new product. So far, it's actually changed my perception of how fast HomeKit can be. The iDevices switch is faster than my Wink Hub with Z Wave Switches. The ecobee3, by comparison, is just a painfully slow example of HomeKit. I'll let this run for a couple of months and see what kind of medium-to-long-term reliability I get. Are you getting pretty good performance with the new firmware?

Reactions: EximiusVir

The JTizzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Maine
Yah same deal, the old firmware was really sketchy with setup and reliability, but since the last2 updates my switches have been SOLID. We have 2 switches up stairs and one down (router is downstairs) and relatively hidden away behind furniture and they work every time almost immediately, plan on getting a few more at some point, but getting a Tado for the AC next in our smart home upgrade schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.