Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leek Soup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2024
Hello,
This is my first foray into older computers. I have just bought a slot loading iMac G3. I know that some older computers have issues that can damage them in later life, such as leaking capacitors and CMOS batteries. This machine seems to work perfectly, but I was wondering if these are known to have any such issues that I should take care of. I don't want to unnecessarily take it apart as I know these plastics get delicate and brittle over time.

I love this thing already, from the noises it makes while booting to the smoothness of the CRT. It is running Mac OS 9.2, and it looks like it was in use up until at least 2009.

Thanks

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

Welcome! :)

This is my first foray into older computers.

Be careful, it can become addictive very easily. ;)

I have just bought a slot loading iMac G3.

I've got one as well. Which colour is yours?

I know that some older computers have issues that can damage them in later life, such as leaking capacitors and CMOS batteries. This machine seems to work perfectly, but I was wondering if these are known to have any such issues that I should take care of. I don't want to unnecessarily take it apart as I know these plastics get delicate and brittle over time.

Have a read though this page on iMac G3 issues and care.

I love this thing already, from the noises it makes while booting to the smoothness of the CRT. It is running Mac OS 9.2, and it looks like it was in use up until at least 2009.

Thanks

That's great! Do you know how much RAM it has? It's definitely worth upgrading to the max amount and also replacing the HDD with an SSD. Both are fairly expensive improvements but will give the machine a significant boost in performance.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Leek Soup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2024
Welcome! :)

Be careful, it can become addictive very easily. ;)

I've got one as well. Which colour is yours?

Have a read though this page on iMac G3 issues and care.

That's great! Do you know how much RAM it has? It's definitely worth upgrading to the max amount and also replacing the HDD with an SSD. Both are fairly expensive improvements but will give the machine a significant boost in performance.
Thank you for the info, I will definitely take a look at that. It's a sort of blue-ish navy colour, not sure of the official name. Not sure how much RAM it has either, I was not able to navigate it properly because my keyboard does not work with it. Unfortunately I am away for the next week so I won't be able to do anything with it for a while...Thanks again for the reply.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thank you for the info, I will definitely take a look at that. It's a sort of blue-ish navy colour, not sure of the official name. Not sure how much RAM it has either, I was not able to navigate it properly because my keyboard does not work with it. Unfortunately I am away for the next week so I won't be able to do anything with it for a while...Thanks again for the reply.

You're welcome.

When you're ready, we'll help as much as we can. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.