Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
Hey everyone, been reading here for the past several weeks about video cards for the cMP. I recently picked up a 3,1 and read that the GTX 680 or GTX 770 are the best for this model.

My problem is I only find PC versions of these cards on the local used market. I'm not comfortable with the flashing process so what would happen if I just installed these cards without flashing? Would I just not get the boot screen or would it not work at all until flashed? Thanks.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey everyone, been reading here for the past several weeks about video cards for the cMP. I recently picked up a 3,1 and read that the GTX 680 or GTX 770 are the best for this model.

My problem is I only find PC versions of these cards on the local used market. I'm not comfortable with the flashing process so what would happen if I just installed these cards without flashing? Would I just not get the boot screen or would it not work at all until flashed? Thanks.
No pre-boot configuration support only, GPU works after macOS loads the drivers.

Reactions: serpico007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.