Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Hi everyone! Nice to be a newbie around here!

I just had a question about the iPhone and the Apple Genius Bar.

I've had my iPhone for almost two months now, and it has been working... well... average.

My signal strength is poor in areas I need the phone the most. I can stand in the same spot and my bars will fluctuate from 3, to 1, to No Service, to 2 bars within a matter of two minutes.

I drop calls constantly also. On Tuesday, it took 10 attempts to make a call to my Dad because we kept losing each other. Additionally after that, my phone went bezerk and malfunctioned.

Now today, I had three bars outside for about 5 minutes. I decided to call her, and my call failed because it suddenly said "No Service". My camera went all wrong today too. My screen was split in half, and it was all garbled and locked up. I had to turn it on and off three times to get it going again.

To note, I've reinstalled the firmware twice, and it is not hacked at all. I have AT&T, and in my area reception is pretty good. I compared a Tracfone in a building next to my iPhone and the Tracfone got better service!

I know it sounds like a lot, but do you think I should go to the Apple Genius Bar to see if they could help or give me another phone? Would they give me a hard time if I explain to them all my problems, and would they charge me for a replacement? I've got everything with me, except for the headphones, and I have to look for my receipt.

And I know that the new 3G is coming out soon. If I wait until it comes out, and then go to the Genius Bar, would they possibly replace my phone with the new 3G one, or give me another same 8GB one I already have?

Thanks for all of your input! Much appreciated! :)

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
id take it in
mainly for the screen/camera problem - low signal is a known issue

and they wont replace it with a 3g one

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Apple Stores are known for being friendly.

Just tell them about the malfuntioning.

They'll most likely give you a replacement.

If you wait like three years, then they'll prolly replace your iPhone for a 3G one.

Other than that, they have plenty of refurb iPhones (just no new ones =/)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.