Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Do you see much of a difference by using a DVI KVM switch vs. a VGA KVM switch with DVI->VGA adapters when connecting two computers (one with DVI, one with VGA) to a DVI monitor?

I was looking at the prices for DVI KVM switches vs. VGA KVM switches and the DVI ones are at least 2-3x more expensive. Is it that much more expensive because the quality will be much better or just because it's a newer technology?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
turtlebud said:
Do you see much of a difference by using a DVI KVM switch vs. a VGA KVM switch with DVI->VGA adapters when connecting two computers (one with DVI, one with VGA) to a DVI monitor?

I was looking at the prices for DVI KVM switches vs. VGA KVM switches and the DVI ones are at least 2-3x more expensive. Is it that much more expensive because the quality will be much better or just because it's a newer technology?
It's because it's newer technology and it's quality is better.
I don't have anything to test the first question for you. I'm all VGA right now (only 2 monitors - rest are either an imac or laptop)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.