Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimmerSuds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
If i disconnect the LTE service on my mini ipad through my carrier, will the ipad still work correctly with wireless?

Will it generate any errors because it cannot find an LTE data signal?

I know on a Samusng Galaxy, every time you use it there is an error message about the device not being provisioned or something like that.

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, you can put the iPad on airplane mode, and then turn on the wifi and that will solve your problem.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's why I offered it ;)

That's good if you want to turn off cellular temporarily, but it seemed to me that the OP was talking about turning off cellular on a more long-term basis. (i.e. Doing it quickly is not important)

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I think OP is actually talking about cancelling their data plan with the carrier altogether, not just turning data off.

In which case the iPad will still function exactly like a regular iPad without cellular. It's not like an iPhone, it doesn't need to be "activated" with a SIM card to allow you to go past the first setup screens or anything.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Using the control center to hit Airplane mode and then Wi-Fi is pretty close to the same thing.

Not really. Airplane mode will also turn off Bluetooth and A-GPS, and disable location services (even if you turn Wi-Fi back on).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.