Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much Do you think i could sell computer for?

• Less 1,000 (Specs in post)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • 1,000-1,100

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 1,200-1,300

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Where to sell computer Ebay?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Local Newspaper

• Other suggestings

• Total voters

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
Hey guys i am wondering what to do. I love my G4 Powerbook but i want a new Macbook or Powerbook Pro. I have heard the issues with them so it makes me want to wait until they are fixed. But With the powerbook i have now, Do i just sell it and buy a new computer? Or wait but then the resell value on mine will go down.

Right now have a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GB Memory 80GB, HD, 64MB Video card, with Apple care for another 2 years so until May 2008.

First question what would you pay for a Computer like this? And where should i sell it? Ebay (Not sure) Tried that on Desktop Athlon 3000+ 64 Bit and Max bid was 120 dollars LOL. Thank god for the reserve i put.

Is it worth it to just sell now and buy a computer and deal with it, Apple is alot better then most companies about warrenty.

Macbook i heard about, Noise, overheating
Powerbook Pro, Same.

Or wait and see how much i can get for this computer in sept-Dec.

Thanks, Brian

Also is it worth it to keep Apple care on it if i sell it or get money back? If i do keep it value will be higher right? If take it off how much money will it loose on price of selling?

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
700$

I do have a 1.25GHz 15 Inch G4 PB. I do feel you got a nice system and won't loose much money in a year time, so I wouldn't take any risk and wait for the next gen., which will be probably 64bit anyway.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Probably $850-950 based on latest craigslist offerings. This does not necessarily mean they are getting that, but I have had very good luck with craigslist, doing local sales for cash only. I have a 15" 1.5GHz that I am thinking of listing on there for about $1200. The only thing holding me back is the reported problems with the MB and MBP.

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
danny_w said:
Probably $850-950 based on latest craigslist offerings. This does not necessarily mean they are getting that, but I have had very good luck with craigslist, doing local sales for cash only. I have a 15" 1.5GHz that I am thinking of listing on there for about $1200. The only thing holding me back is the reported problems with the MB and MBP.

same here, but if i wait latter retail value will go to ****, plus not as many people would want to buy it. I don't know if i should sell my Laptop with Applecare extended 2 years or get money back to put in new computer. Or sell it with it to hopefully get more from Laptop but if its not going to sell for much getting money back for Applecare (Isn't cheap)

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I think that if the resale value of your PB is going to go to **** then it already would have so I don't think that you should bother selling until the exact computer that you are looking for is out. Also, are you just refusing to call the MacBook Pro by its proper name or is it a typo that you keep doing with "PowerBook Pro", I just thought that it was wierd because you seem to have accepted the name MacBook. Anyways, if I were in your shoes I would keep it until all the problems are resolved with the new Mac laptops.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
BKKloppenborg said:
same here, but if i wait latter retail value will go to ****, plus not as many people would want to buy it. I don't know if i should sell my Laptop with Applecare extended 2 years or get money back to put in new computer. Or sell it with it to hopefully get more from Laptop but if its not going to sell for much getting money back for Applecare (Isn't cheap)
I didn't notice that you had Applecare on it, so add a bit (maybe $100-150) to my prices above.

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
You should try selling it locally first. Either on a forum, in the newspaper or on Craigslist. This will help you avoid eBay and paypal fees which are ridiculously high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.