Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohitdhanawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hi there i have a macbook pro 13' early 2011 running with the below config:

OS X 10.10.5
2.3 GHz i5
8GB DDR3
Intel HD Graphic 3000 512MB
320 GB SATA

I want to know if it is ok to upgrade to the new macOS. Will my config support the new OS or will it slow down my mac.

Thanks in Advance.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
You can upgrade to Sierra without issues and you can run High Sierra when it shows up this fall. Also I'd recommend doing an SSD upgrade since it looks like you've still got the stock hard drive there.

mohitdhanawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hi there.. if i dont not upgrade to SSD will my mac's performance slow down if i upgrade to sierra?

Also can you suggest a good SSD that will fit in my mac. im really not a technical person in such things.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
The performance difference between a hard drive and an SSD is enormous, you'll never want to go back afterwards. Crucial, Samsung and SanDisk (and by extension Western Digital) SSDs are some of the best; you'll want a 2.5" SSD and *not* an M.2 or mSATA drive.

Reactions: mohitdhanawat

mohitdhanawat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
The performance difference between a hard drive and an SSD is enormous, you'll never want to go back afterwards. Crucial, Samsung and SanDisk (and by extension Western Digital) SSDs are some of the best; you'll want a 2.5" SSD and *not* an M.2 or mSATA drive.
Thanks for the quick response. I will get to it immediately..

TheOkeland

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Aachen, Germany
I upgraded a MBP 2011 13" some month ago.
It was running on Mountain Lion with the old HDD in it.

Now with Sierra and with a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, no problems, very good performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.