Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I got the email today about migration. My plan is to migrate from my old MBP with Thunderbolt 1 to my new MBP with Thunderbolt 3. My plan was to buy a Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter and then hook that up to my old MBP with a Thunderbolt cable. Apple's procedure is to get a USB C-2-gigabit ethernet adapter and a Thunderbolt-2-gigabit ethernet adapter and connect using ethernet. Will my plan work? The reason I ask is that there's a huge wait time for the USB C-2-gigabit ethernet adapter. There's also a wait time for the Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter, but it's less of a wait and should arrive before the new MBP does. I think.

Meicyn

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
I would recommend just doing Migration Assistant over WIFI. It'll take a lot longer, but you don't have to purchase anything.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Agreed. Use your backup to migrate your data. If you don't keep a backup, start keeping a backup.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Definitely go from a time machine back up or disk backup (like from super duper or carbon copy cloner). Faster, and my experience with machine to machine migration is that it has a high likelihood of stalling near the end for a very long time, meaning a very long time during which you can't use either machine for productive work.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
Could i just pull my SSD out of my old computer and put it in an enclosure and use a USB a to c cable to connect it to my new computer?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Could i just pull my SSD out of my old computer and put it in an enclosure and use a USB a to c cable to connect it to my new computer?
Yes, assuming the ssd is removable in your old model. Macsales.com is a decent resource for SSD enclosures and transfer kits and such.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
Yes, assuming the ssd is removable in your old model. Macsales.com is a decent resource for SSD enclosures and transfer kits and such.
yes it is a MX200 SSD, and i already have an enclosure, as well as a usb A to C cable

Tayljones6

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016

If it has a removable sad drive, yes. I would go with at least a usb 3 for external use and if you don't plan on keeping the old one then you will have extra storage for travel.

Me personally will be pulling my 2008 HD and putting it in a external case to copy personal items since I plan to do a clean install of everything. Since it is 2TB i will keep it on me for a month or so to make sure I have everything then reformat and patron 1TB for Time Machine and 1TB for windows 10.

I have been swapping HD in my computer for years and it is really helpful using a HD vs flash drive.

The reason of the clean install is over the years I have updated and shaped out programs and it bogs down my computer. depending on how well you keep our computer organized it might be faster to go that way so you don't have a cluttered system.

A clean install is a term when you pretty much start from scratch. In my case I would install all the programs I use and re setup everything. After that I would copy my files over like documents, photos,music and movies. That is why i don't erase the original one incase I forget something

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.