Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjurusik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Alright, quick question for those of you with a bit more experience in recording. I have a Boss multi FX pedal with a left and right output, good for such effects as a phaser/flanger/etc. Suppose I send the two outputs into GB as two mono inputs, then pan 1 channel all the way left and the other channel all the way right, I would have the original stereo signal, correct? Thanks.

Kleekoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2003
Technically yes, though I wouldn't do a full 100% left and right pan, it always sounds a bit cheesy. 80% or so would sound great.

C14ru5

macrumors member
Be aware that if you reduce the panning (like 80%), some harmonic components may be cancelled out due to comb filter effects...but that might be exactly what you want :)

If you DON'T want the comb filter effect to occur, you should experiment with the stereo spread parameter in your effect box (pre record and not post record), if such a parameter is present. However, then you won't get as much flexibility during mixing, so I would probably still go for 100% spread while recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.