Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Sorry everyone for asking this, but I honestly could not get a straight answer looking online nor do the people at the verizon store and bestbuy appear to give me a straight answer.

I am just wondering if paying up front actually costs less than paying the monthly installments. Or are the monthly installments just taking the price of the iphone and dividing the payments into 24 months? Are there added fees or hidden costs that. although small for each monthly payment, will add up over time?

I'm trying to figure out which method of buying is the cheaper when all is said and done.

TIA.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Monthly payments are basically just spreading out the cost of the phone over $24 months. There are no fees or hidden cost associated with spreading out the payments. Plus, spreading out the payments over 24 months helps if you don't have $1,000 upfront.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Monthly payments are basically just spreading out the cost of the phone over $24 months. There are no fees or hidden cost associated with spreading out the payments. Plus, spreading out the payments over 24 months helps if you don't have $1,000 upfront.
Ok. Thank you. I ask because I am waiting till a Black Friday sale to get the new iphone xs, but it requires me to go on those installment plans. I didn't know if I would be paying more in the longrun for this that it wipes out any savings I get from the Black Friday deal.

You're saying that it's the same. I wonder why I have to do the installment plan at all if I can pay it up front. They're getting their money either way.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
No interest financing. Pay the same cost, you can pay a down payment and get your monthly payments down.
Sorry everyone for asking this, but I honestly could not get a straight answer looking online nor do the people at the verizon store and bestbuy appear to give me a straight answer.

I am just wondering if paying up front actually costs less than paying the monthly installments. Or are the monthly installments just taking the price of the iphone and dividing the payments into 24 months? Are there added fees or hidden costs that. although small for each monthly payment, will add up over time?

I'm trying to figure out which method of buying is the cheaper when all is said and done.

TIA.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
No interest financing. Pay the same cost, you can pay a down payment and get your monthly payments down.
So if I put in a downpayment for an iphone xs for $976 leaving only $24 left. Are they seriously going to just make me pay an extra $1 every month for 24 months?

All this just to get on an installment plan for Black Friday discounts. If I could give them the entire payment, they're still getting their money. Why am I forced to go with an installment plan? I don't get it because it's not like the stores are making more money that way.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Why not just take the installment plan and then pay it off?
Well, I think I might do that now. I thought you ended up paying more because of added fees and hidden costs that accumulate over time. In addition, it looks like to get the benefit of the Black Friday iphone deals (i.e. ~$250 gift cards and credits), you're required to get the phone on an installment plan.

My question is that I heard you can, if you wish, put in a downpayment. If I put in a $976 downpayment, leaving on $24 left to pay for the phone, will I just have to pay an extra $1 each month for 24 mo? Will stores allow me to do that? Just curious because if I prefer paying the phone upfront, but are still required to get an installment plan, then that might be something someone would do. (Not saying I'd do this. Just curious if it's possible.)

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
So if I put in a downpayment for an iphone xs for $976 leaving only $24 left. Are they seriously going to just make me pay an extra $1 every month for 24 months?

All this just to get on an installment plan for Black Friday discounts. If I could give them the entire payment, they're still getting their money. Why am I forced to go with an installment plan? I don't get it because it's not like the stores are making more money that way.

oh black Friday, i dont know about that. Its up to the store that you do it with. Could be the only deal you can get is on a payment plan. Bestbuy did offer phones $100 more than retail one year. stores can do whatever they want, so read the fine print....

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Depends on how they give you the credits. If it is all upfront you should be fine. But if they split it over monthly payments, you have to have a payment active to get the credit.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Why am I forced to go with an installment plan? I don't get it because it's not like the stores are making more money that way.

I think Target, Best Buy, etc. get kickbacks from the carriers for activating people on installment plans.

Reactions: Squeak825

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
They give you monthly bill credits so you will be keeping service with them over that period of time, or if you pay it off early, you lose the monthly credits.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you need that dumb installment plan to get a deal later, just buy the phone like anyone and pay the first payment normally ($24 or whatever it is) then a month or two later or after that sale is over, just pay off the phone in full. They won't penalize you for that. It's an interest free loan.

It's futile to try to figure out why corporations create these money shuffling schemes. Just read the fine print and you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.