Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
This may not be the correct forum to post this on, but I have a general ignorance question...

On my 7,1 I have a Sonnet M.2 4x4 Silent PCIe Card installed with (3) 1TB Samsung NVMe's installed and configured in RAID 0.

If I remove that card and reinstall it, I assume that all the data would remain intact (maybe). But what if I remove the card, swap out for new NVMe's? Does the data still reside on my old NVMe's? Can they be reinstalled if necessary?

I guess my real question is what is the best procedure to swap out (upgrade) the NVMe's on my PCI card in RAID 0?

CanPhantom

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
The data doesn't disappear. You could reinstall them at a later date, as long as you install all of them, and in the same configuration, and you haven't powered them up in another machine in the meantime. Basically if you do anything to those drives other than put them right back where they were, that data is probably gonna get zapped.

Strongly recommend taking a backup before you take them out.

Reactions: majus and choreo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.