Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
So I upgraded my 3rd gen 12" ipp to a 6th gen ipp and I swapped over my sim and it sees the sim but says no service. This is the old prepaid ATT grandfathered unlimited plan from way back. Works on my 3rd gen 12" no problem but not on the new ipp. I called ATT and they said that it wont work on the new ipads do to the updated tech and no longer the 3G/4G that the old unlimited plan uses ? Is this true ? Just want to make sure before I cancel that plan on add it on to my verizon plan.

Thanks.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
So I upgraded my 3rd gen 12" ipp to a 6th gen ipp and I swapped over my sim and it sees the sim but says no service. This is the old prepaid ATT grandfathered unlimited plan from way back. Works on my 3rd gen 12" no problem but not on the new ipp. I called ATT and they said that it wont work on the new ipads do to the updated tech and no longer the 3G/4G that the old unlimited plan uses ? Is this true ? Just want to make sure before I cancel that plan on add it on to my verizon plan.

Thanks.
If the plan is on a 3G network, then it won’t work since AT&T shut down their 3G network already. Also, on Apple’s website, they took out the GSM and CDMA technology as well, so that may be the reason the plan doesn’t work anymore.

Reactions: jetjaguar

Foghorn leghorn

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
I had this happen on my IPP M2 with T-Mobile (eSim fine, No service). The plan I was on was no longer offered and i had to upgrade to a current plan.

Reactions: jetjaguar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.