Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Hello,

Quick question: I have two iPads, which I use all the time but in different settings. The 11” is used when I am usually indoors and thenMini is used when I am out and about.

I want to know how can I sync PDF Expert across these two devices such that I can begin using the app on one device and can seamlessly pick up where I left on the other. I do this all the time on the Kindle app and the Books app on the iPads. I also do this with Office documents.

But with PDF expert, I have to open the document I am working on individually on each device within PDF Expert. Plus annotations and highlights are also not synced (as they are in the other apps I mentioned above). Is there any solution to this? I should add I have paid for PDF Expert but I am not on their monthly subscription, which was introduced after I had bought the paid version. I am also signed into PDF Expert using the same account and both iPads are synced throug the same Apple ID and through the same OneDrive/Office 365 account.

Any help on this would be great. Also, if it is not possible to do this on PDF Expert, can you please recommend an app where I can do this? I don’t mind paying for it though I’d prefer to avoid a subscription model of payment.

Thanks very much!

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Hello,

Quick question: I have two iPads, which I use all the time but in different settings. The 11” is used when I am usually indoors and thenMini is used when I am out and about.

I want to know how can I sync PDF Expert across these two devices such that I can begin using the app on one device and can seamlessly pick up where I left on the other. I do this all the time on the Kindle app and the Books app on the iPads. I also do this with Office documents.

But with PDF expert, I have to open the document I am working on individually on each device within PDF Expert. Plus annotations and highlights are also not synced (as they are in the other apps I mentioned above). Is there any solution to this? I should add I have paid for PDF Expert but I am not on their monthly subscription, which was introduced after I had bought the paid version. I am also signed into PDF Expert using the same account and both iPads are synced throug the same Apple ID and through the same OneDrive/Office 365 account.

Any help on this would be great. Also, if it is not possible to do this on PDF Expert, can you please recommend an app where I can do this? I don’t mind paying for it though I’d prefer to avoid a subscription model of payment.

Thanks very much!
Your annotations/highlights should be synced. You mentioned you have an Apple ID, but are you using iCloud for syncing?

I use iCloud and have had no issues with syncing of annotations, notes, audio, etc. I did inquire with Readdle about leaving off on one device and picking up at the same spot on another device — it sounded like this would be a function of the Handoff feature, which would have to be enabled. I haven’t tested this, because I had just started using PDF Expert mainly on my Mac, since I make a lot of notes and keep a separate document open with words and their definitions.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Your annotations/highlights should be synced. You mentioned you have an Apple ID, but are you using iCloud for syncing?

I use iCloud and have had no issues with syncing of annotations, notes, audio, etc. I did inquire with Readdle about leaving off on one device and picking up at the same spot on another device — it sounded like this would be a function of the Handoff feature, which would have to be enabled. I haven’t tested this, because I had just started using PDF Expert mainly on my Mac, since I make a lot of notes and keep a separate document open with words and their definitions.

I hope this helps.
No, I don’t use iCloud for syncing. I’m not a big iCloud use - only for back up. Mainly use OneDrive as my phone is Android and laptop is windows. I guess I will look for another app though I really do like PDF Expert. But thanks for your insights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.