Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Can you upload pdf's on your ipad instead of buying documents from iBook?

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Yes, but you can't view them in the iBooks app.

Probably your best bet would be to download one of the PDF readers off the App Store (there's plenty of options), and then upload your PDFs into that app. You can view them from there without a problem.

Not as 'elegant' as using iBooks would be, but hey it works.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Can you upload pdf's on your ipad instead of buying documents from iBook?

Find the App Store icon on the iPad/iPhone. Write PDF in the search box. You'll find dozens of apps made specifically for reading PDFs. Some cost as little as 99 cents, some lite versions are free.

You can transfer your own PDFs to these apps via email, iTunes, wifi, download them from the Internet, Google Docs, Drop Box... Read the features in the app store before you select the app you want to buy. And read the comments, not all PDF viewers are equal. A popular one is Good Reader, which works well, but I also bought a PDF-specific viewer called Pro something or other and it's awful.

You can annotate PDFs with iAnnotate and PaperPad.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
A popular one is Good Reader, which works well

Good Reader is more than just a PDF reader.
You can directly move any file to and from the iPad. Including video - which GoodReader will play.

GoodReader will also directly download files from the Internet too. Including Dropbox etc.

It's not the most refined reading experience. But it's a pretty good file App.

C.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, but you can't view them in the iBooks app.

Probably your best bet would be to download one of the PDF readers off the App Store (there's plenty of options), and then upload your PDFs into that app. You can view them from there without a problem.

Not as 'elegant' as using iBooks would be, but hey it works.

Maybe it's just me but the contrived book look in iBooks is a real turn off for me, especially reading documents that are not books. It's like the brief I'm reading is a rough draft of a John Grisham novel.

I like to read on Cloud Reader unless there are embedded links which I then use GoodReader. Hopefully GoodReader will update to allow turning pages horizontally rather than vertically and then I can dump Cloud Reader.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Another vote for GoodReader. There was a discussion on this same topic in another thread here on MR. GoodReader and iAnnotate are for now a pretty good solution for reading/editing of PDF's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.