Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Hi everyone just installed my new apple 4K 32GB 2021 apple tv today..got the apple tv plus free for one yr which is super cool..I am new at this so have a question about the spectrum app for anyone who is familiar with it..I had a digital box but had so many issues with it decided to try streaming for once..I put in the spectrum app and everything is great except one thing, I notice that there is maybe a 10-15 second delay between what Im watching and the exact same channel that is in the Den(on our dvr spectrum box) I connected the apple tv to ethernet connection since the wifi signal in my room stinks. I asked spectrum about it and she said that with internet connection there may be a delay compared to a co-axil cable is that true?
Thanks so much appreciate it

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Yes that is correct. A way to think of it is you’re getting it directly from the source through the co-ax. When you stream it, it has to come over the Internet which is going to introduce delays. They may also have to do some type of conversion of the stream too which would also cause more delays.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Yes that is correct. A way to think of it is you’re getting it directly from the source through the co-ax. When you stream it, it has to come over the Internet which is going to introduce delays. They may also have to do some type of conversion of the stream too which would also cause more delays.

Thanks so much for the info..when I turned off the apple tv box last night I used the siri remote(I have the newest apple tv with the new siri remote that has the power button on the top..so I used the power button to turn off both the tv and the apple box I assume that is OK
Also..before I turned off the apple tv I got out of the spectrum app and went back to the home page is that what I should do or is it OK to turn off the apple tv while the spectrum app is running that way when I turn back on the apple tv the spectrum app will pop up automatically

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks so much for the info..when I turned off the apple tv box last night I used the siri remote(I have the newest apple tv with the new siri remote that has the power button on the top..so I used the power button to turn off both the tv and the apple box I assume that is OK
Also..before I turned off the apple tv I got out of the spectrum app and went back to the home page is that what I should do or is it OK to turn off the apple tv while the spectrum app is running that way when I turn back on the apple tv the spectrum app will pop up automatically
It makes no difference if you quit the app before turning it off or not.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
It makes no difference if you quit the app before turning it off or not.

Oh Ok..so when I turn back on the apple tv it will be on the spectrum app or back on the home screen of apple tv? Also is it Ok for me to use the siri remote power button to turn off the apple tv/tv? Also one weird thing Im in Los Angeles and locations settings is set to "on" but I was watching tv on spectrum app and all of a sudden I get an "alert" about a storm warning in NY, one of those emergency alert messages why would I get that?

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Oh Ok..so when I turn back on the apple tv it will be on the spectrum app or back on the home screen of apple tv? Also is it Ok for me to use the siri remote power button to turn off the apple tv/tv? Also one weird thing Im in Los Angeles and locations settings is set to "on" but I was watching tv on spectrum app and all of a sudden I get an "alert" about a storm warning in NY, one of those emergency alert messages why would I get that?
That’s what the power button on the remote is there for. ? It will be on the Home Screen when you turn it on.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I wonder myself if there is something more. I've had where the Spectrum TV app on the Apple TV looks like crap and/or has a delay. I went to using a receiver for awhile, but decided to use the Apple TV after a few months. Picture looked great until the last week or two. So tried to see the app needed updating but updates are auto. So curious, I decided to check the app on the iPad Pro, and the picture looks great with no lag. Which means the claims about being hard wired like a receiver instead of wifi, don't really fly if I can use the iPad Pro with no issues. If I decided to air play to the Apple TV, the picture is back to being degraded with some lag. Which makes me curious if it's something to do with the app on the Apple TV, since it's the only place I get horrible picture and lag.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
That’s what the power button on the remote is there for. ? It will be on the Home Screen when you turn it on.

Yeah that makes sense LOL..I turned off the device when the spectrum app was still on but this morning when I turned it on first I got a message that something was up with the internet connection so I pressed OK then it started loading the guide which was very slow..so I kept on pressing the back button to go to the home screen then I loaded the spectrum app and it was running fine again..I guess I have to remember, these are apps and sometimes they will have issues..I still have the spectrum digital box but I am going to get rid of it, saving 9 bucks a month is worth it it will make sense over time I guess
Another question I have..lets say Im watching a show but I want to check out another channel that I was also watching(On the spectrum tv remote I would press the "Last" button) so I can go back to the last channel I watched..can I do that with the siri remote or no

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.