Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Lately I've been looking at getting into video editing on a regular basis and am thinking that the 2018 MacBook Pro would best serve that purpose. The 2018 MacBook Pro is listed as $1,799.00 USD but the same spec'd machine is listed on the Apple Refurbished site for $1,529.00 USD. The savings are obviously attractive, but I'm concerned about the internals.

My questions are:
- This machine was released in July 2018?
- How much wear could have been placed on a 6 month old SSD and would that significantly shorten its lifespan?
- Does Apple replace semi-worn SSD's as part of the refurbishment process?

I've learned a bit about the wear leveling features of solid state drives that help prevent cell exhaustion, but I'm curious how that affects SSD longevity.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Lately I've been looking at getting into video editing on a regular basis and am thinking that the 2018 MacBook Pro would best serve that purpose. The 2018 MacBook Pro is listed as $1,799.00 USD but the same spec'd machine is listed on the Apple Refurbished site for $1,529.00 USD. The savings are obviously attractive, but I'm concerned about the internals.

My questions are:
- How much wear could have been placed on a 6 month old SSD and would that significantly shorten its lifespan?

I've learned a bit about the wear leveling features of solid state drives that help prevent cell exhaustion, but I'm curious how that affects SSD longevity.

The impact on the lifespan of the SSD is negligible. I saw a study that shows Samsung SSDs in big arrays start showing failures in the 700 Terabytes written range. For the average heavy laptop user that is decades.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
The impact on the lifespan of the SSD is negligible. I saw a study that shows Samsung SSDs in big arrays start showing failures in the 700 Terabytes written range. For the average heavy laptop user that is decades.
Whoa, I had no idea! Thank you for that info.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

My questions are:

You're far more likely to have tossed the machine and it's next one or two replacement before wear becomes an issue.

Also, even if the machine was released in July 2018, it has not been in use for this long, refurbished machines are 14-day returns that are inspected, nearly all wear parts are replaced and they are repackaged. It was most likely used a day or two, tops.

Reactions: revmacian

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Also, even if the machine was released in July 2018, it has not been in use for this long, refurbished machines are 14-day returns that are inspected, nearly all wear parts are replaced and they are repackaged. It was most likely used a day or two, tops.
Agreed, the Mac is likely to be pretty much brand new.

I’d get AppleCare+ as well, which I tend to do irrespective of purchasing new or refurbished.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
700TB it's nothing, I have old Toshiba Data Center SSD 1.9TB with lifetime 3500TB and this is mid-range model

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryk

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Refurbished Macs are basically machines that people bought and returned within the 14 day return period, so you are fine. Also, check out the link below which I always show people when they are worried about SSD wear. Keep in mind that the drives used in this test are 3-4 years old and they are consumer drives designed for normal consumer use.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Refurbished Macs are basically machines that people bought and returned within the 14 day return period, so you are fine. Also, check out the link below which I always show people when they are worried about SSD wear. Keep in mind that the drives used in this test are 3-4 years old and they are consumer drives designed for normal consumer use.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
That's not bad at all. I'm 55 years old and I'm not sure I'll ever write more than 100TB the rest of my life.

Reactions: jerryk

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Ok, after all of the research I've done, I've ordered the refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13-inch - two Thunderbolt 3 ports, non-Touch Bar. After everything I've learned I'm certain this machine will be a large improvement over my Mac mini Late 2014 base model machine.

Update: I ordered this MBP this morning and it is now showing as "Shipped"! This will be my first Apple laptop and I'm so excited!

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ok, after all of the research I've done, I've ordered the refurbished 13 inch MacBook Pro - two Thunderbolt 3 ports, no Touch Bar. After everything I've learned I'm certain this machine will be a large improvement over my Mac mini Late 2014 base model machine.

Update: I ordered this MBP this morning and it is now showing as "Shipped"! This will be my first Apple laptop and I'm so excited!

Congrats. Enjoy your new machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.