Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlciol10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Hey guys, new to the forum here- Over the years, I've had probably 5 different iPods, 2 iPhones, and most recently an iPad mini. Anyway, I've had my iPad mini (retina display) since Christmas and I love it. I use it all the time.

My question has a bit of a background story. (Sorry for the extra reading).

Upon opening the iPad, I immediately threw some cheap sharper image anti glare screen protector on it and I also put the iPad in an apple smart case the next day. Never been a real screen protector snob- I did notice however, that the screen protector left about a 1mm gap of exposed glass on all 4 edges. The Smart Cover doesn't cover this area either.

Last week, I took my iPad out of my bag, opened the Smart Cover and noticed a tiny pit/chip in the glass of my screen in that 1mm unprotected section of glass along the bezel directly above camera. Just my luck.

Ok, this chip is like the size of a grain of sand or two but it's really been bugging me especially since I was sure to take precautions against damage.

I chatted with apple support and the guy told me to take it to the apple store where they would be more than likely to cover the replacement of my unit. Wasn't expecting that but sweet!...took it to the apple store and the guy I talked to was not interested in helping me whatsoever. He didn't even want to hear my story. The guy looked at it for literally 2 seconds and said don't even bother going to the Genius Bar. He refused to put me on the appointment list...

Alright, so that plan was shot. Now I stumbled upon this Moshi iVisor that has this blacked out section for around the bezel that could potentially hide this chip if it covers every part of the glass all the way up to the metal casing. Seems pretty sweet since it's guaranteed to be bubble free and there's clear and anti glare versions that I could choose from. The reviews look awesome too.

So my question is: will this screen protector cover the entirety of the glass on the iPad? Aka, will it settle pretty much flush with the metal casing so the chip in my glass can be covered up?

Thanks in advance!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I dont think any screen protectors cover the entire glass so that they wont get pulled up if they overhang, most people cant line it up perfectly so there is a bit of room to play with.

As for your chip situation id go back to the apple store and go right to a manager and explain what support had told you.

McRumour

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Last week, I took my iPad out of my bag, opened the Smart Cover and noticed a tiny pit/chip in the glass of my screen in that 1mm unprotected section of glass along the bezel directly above camera. Just my luck.
Ok, this chip is like the size of a grain of sand or two but it's really been bugging me I stumbled upon this Moshi iVisor that has this blacked out section for around the bezel that could potentially hide this chip if it covers every part of the glass all the way up to the metal casing. Seems pretty sweet since it's guaranteed to be bubble free and there's clear and anti glare versions that I could choose from. The reviews look awesome too.
So my question is: will this screen protector cover the entirety of the glass on the iPad? Aka, will it settle pretty much flush with the metal casing so the chip in my glass can be covered up? Thanks in advance!

It might be helpful if you posted a foto of the chip - which showed precisely where it is in relation to the camera.
Meanwhile - I can say the following:
I have the Moshi iVisor XT for iPad mini
(It's the clear one, not the anti-glare
My mini is the 1st gen.)
Now, assuming the dimensions of your retina display mini are the same as mine, and assuming the Moshi screen protector you're considering has same dimensions as mine - then YES, it should (?) cover the chip on your screen......if that chip is directly above the round camera.
If it's above but a bit to the left or right - then it would still show:
The Moshi camera cutout is oval (not round), with the horizontal opening longer than the vertical.
Here's a picture from Moshi's web site......

http://store.moshimonde.com/media/c...5fb8d27136e95/i/v/ivisor-miniretina-black.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.