Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Hello everyone.

All my personal devices are on 16.1 ( Iphone, Ipad, Macs, Apple TVs, Homepods, no betas anywhere), but a couple of my family members are still using Iphone 7 (on 15.7.1, they can´t update to IOS 16).

They are part of my Home, and control homekit stuff, use personal requests, and listen to personalized Apple Music content trough the Homepods.

Now, my question is... if I move to the new architecture when 16.2 comes out, they will be kicked out of the home completely, right?.

If so, I shouldn´t update for the time being, right?.

Thanks in advance and excuse my English.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hello everyone.

All my personal devices are on 16.1 ( Iphone, Ipad, Macs, Apple TVs, Homepods, no betas anywhere), but a couple of my family members are still using Iphone 7 (on 15.7.1, they can´t update to IOS 16).

They are part of my Home, and control homekit stuff, use personal requests, and listen to personalized Apple Music content trough the Homepods.

Now, my question is... if I move to the new architecture when 16.2 comes out, they will be kicked out of the home completely, right?.

If so, I shouldn´t update for the time being, right?.

Thanks in advance and excuse my English.
You’re English is perfectly fine 🙂

From what I understand and all the articles I read and videos I watched, every device must be on 16.2 to get the new architecture to work. Not sure if they’ll get kicked out or if it will just revert to the old architecture but I think the new architecture is an opt in. Meaning, I believe you can update to 16.2 but hold off on updating to the new architecture within HomeKit. Don’t quote me on that but I believe that’s how it works.

Hopefully someone with 16.2 experience can chime in.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Ah, so I can update to 16.2 but I wont benefit of the performance improvements of the new architecture until they upgrade their phones. Oh well, it´s better than nothing. I hope that 16.2 fixes and improvements also apply to the old architecture.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ah, so I can update to 16.2 but I wont benefit of the performance improvements of the new architecture until they upgrade their phones. Oh well, it´s better than nothing. I hope that 16.2 fixes and improvements also apply to the old architecture.
That’s what it seems to be according to this article. It’s a good read that explains everything.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That’s what it seems to be according to this article. It’s a good read that explains everything.

Doesn't the article say the opposite?

From the article-
“Initially, you'll need to update your primary device — your iPhone or iPad — to iOS 16.2 or iPadOS 16.2. With this update installed, the Home app will inform you of the architecture change and what you need to do to utilize it.
The minimum requirement is all HomePods are running software version 16.2. Initially, Apple said all Home Hubs needed to be updated, but in our home, only the HomePods required the update.
That's all many homes need, but there are fringe scenarios to be aware of. As an example, just because your HomePods and primary device are updated, all of your Apple devices will need updating to continue controlling your smart home.
That includes your Apple Watches, Macs, and Apple TVs. Even though you can migrate to the new architecture, you won't have the full experience until everything is on the requisite firmware.”

It seems to say the new architecture is updated as soon as you update your main iPhone or iPad (side note- I don’t know how it knows which is your main if you have multiple) AND all your HomePods to 16.2. According to the article, any Apple device you have on older software will no longer have access to your home. That’s how I read it, anyway.

To add to my confusion, the Apple website seems to say it’s the other way around. But it’s still pretty vague.

From the article-
“The new Home architecture is a separate update in the Home app. It requires all Apple devices that access the home to be using the latest software.”

So that KIND OF sounds like that means the architecture won’t even install/run/work if all your Apple devices that access the home (Macs, iPads, iPhones, Watches, ATVs, HomePods) are not updated. But then again maybe it means that all non-updated devices won’t be able to control the home. It’s just very unclear.

I’m wondering about this because I want to update my HomePod Mini to 16.3 from 15.1.1 to get the temperature/humidity function, but I want to hold off updating as many of my other devices as possible. (I generally like to keep my devices one major version behind because I find they work more reliably that way.) But I know I would need to update at least my iPhone or iPad to 16 too. But I suppose my biggest problem is my iPhone isn’t compatible with 16, and I definitely want to use it to control/access my home. So one way or another, I’m going to run into problems. But I would like to get a clear answer on which problem I’m going to run into before I make my move.

Can anyone with knowledge chime in? Appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.