Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
So I'm moving from the Apple Upgrade Program this year to carrier financing because of the subsidy. But this transition year is a little tricky. Normally I just trade in my old one and get a new device. But I simultaneously have to turn in my old one and buy a new trade in device ( the cheapest I can find).

* I plan to order the new 15 Pro through my carrier to obtain the subsidy.
* I also plan to either return my 14Pro max for either load retirement or for an amount that's greater than the current loan and just pay that off.
*I also have to buy a "trade in device" depending on what terms my carrier decides. I think I can trade that in to Apple even if it's not an Apple device.

Have I got this right? Any advice? Many thanks.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
The easiest way to do this would be to pay off your iUP loan in its entirety. And then use the 14 PM as your trade-in device.

That's what I did before I began buying my phones outright.
That is 100% the easiest way. I just feel like that's leaving a ton of money on the table if you can trade in like an iPhone 7 or 8 for the same rebate.
In that case I'd buy the cheapest one I could find and then use that as the trade in.

For example my Max Pro 256 Gb is worth $800. The trade in value is only $1K so Im basically an idiot if I did that.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
That is 100% the easiest way. I just feel like that's leaving a ton of money on the table if you can trade in like an iPhone 7 or 8 for the same rebate.
In that case I'd buy the cheapest one I could find and then use that as the trade in.

For example my Max Pro 256 Gb is worth $800. The trade in value is only $1K so Im basically an idiot if I did that.
lol, they're not going to give you $1k subsidy for trade-in of an iPhone 7 or 8.... that's wishful thinking.
An iphone 12 pro maybe, most likely minimum 13 pro for $1k off.

Reactions: CMoore515
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.