Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
iPad Pro purchased through ATT NEXT, but paid off. If it is unlocked, will it work with any carrier, or only certain ones like the phones?

When I put in the IMEI it says it's not at ATT device. I think this has happened before and it's because once it was paid off it automatically unlocked.

I just want to be sure in case someone asks.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPads are technically unlocked right from the start so any SIM that's already activated and has a working plan will work on the iPad via SIM swap.

Caveat, there are carrier visibility/reveal rules on the ATT iPad so trying to sign up for a new plan via Settings -> Cellular only shows AT&T regardless of whether you're using an Apple Embedded SIM, Apple SIM or a SIM card from, say, T-Mobile or Verizon.

I don't know if the same rules apply to eSIM.

Getting customer service knowledgable enough to remove the carrier visibility rules is a crapshoot. Most would direct you to the website and entering the IMEI into that page just tells you the device is already unlocked. Which it *technically* is, but with very annoying limitations.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The iPads are technically unlocked right from the start so any SIM that's already activated and has a working plan will work on the iPad via SIM swap.

Caveat, there are carrier visibility/reveal rules on the ATT iPad so trying to sign up for a new plan via Settings -> Cellular only shows AT&T regardless of whether you're using an Apple Embedded SIM, Apple SIM or a SIM card from, say, T-Mobile or Verizon.

I don't know if the same rules apply to eSIM.

Getting customer service knowledgable enough to remove the carrier visibility rules is a crapshoot. Most would direct you to the website and entering the IMEI into that page just tells you the device is already unlocked. Which it *technically* is, but with very annoying limitations.

oh gosh I’m so confused. ?

I actually have an Apple SIM card in mine although I ordered through ATT, and yes when I try to unlock it acts like it’s not on ATT network.

So how can I be sure someone can use it on another network? Or can I?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Go to AT&T's website and request an unlock. More than likely, you will get the same response I did from them: 'Your device is already unlocked.'

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
oh gosh I’m so confused. ?

I actually have an Apple SIM card in mine although I ordered through ATT, and yes when I try to unlock it acts like it’s not on ATT network.

So how can I be sure someone can use it on another network? Or can I?
Just sell it as an AT&T iPad.

As previously mentioned, while it is technically unlocked, it won't allow signing up for a non-AT&T plan directly on the iPad. The buyer might cry foul if you try to sell it to them as an unlocked model.

This is the message I get when I try to sign up for a new T-Mobile plan (wanted the $10/5GB/5 mo) on an AT&T iPad. On the AT&T Device Unlock page, entering the IMEI tells me that this iPad is already unlocked. :rolleyes:

IMG_1322.jpg

Swapping a working Verizon or T-Mobile SIM with an active plan works fine, though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.