Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi al, hope well.
If anybody knows or has a bit of legal knowldege.
In light of what has been in the news lately I'm curious about something. Please consider these questions with the word, "typically".

If a court held that I was fined $10M how long would it be before I actually had to make payment.
Once the second party gets that money, how long can they leave it before they can spend it, (I mean what is there to stop them spending it instantly), as there should surely be some time for appeal.

Thanks.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Hi al, hope well.
If anybody knows or has a bit of legal knowldege.
In light of what has been in the news lately I'm curious about something. Please consider these questions with the word, "typically".

If a court held that I was fined $10M how long would it be before I actually had to make payment.
Once the second party gets that money, how long can they leave it before they can spend it, (I mean what is there to stop them spending it instantly), as there should surely be some time for appeal.

Thanks.

OMG! Are you on the hook for $10 million? o_O

lol....probably not.

But as an illustration of what would be worked out by your lawyer and the court; in a situation that's been in the news recently, a certain ex-president who lost a defamation suit has deposited a number of millions in an escrow account while he appeals. Neither party will get the money until the case is finally settled through the appeal process.

edit; and I suppose he'll have his lawyers work out a similar agreement for the second case that he's just lost

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
OMG! Are you on the hook for $10 million? o_O

lol....probably not.

But as an illustration of what would be worked out by your lawyer and the court; in a situation that's been in the news recently, a certain ex-president who lost a defamation suit has deposited a number of millions in an escrow account while he appeals. Neither party will get the money until the case is finally settled through the appeal process.

edit; and I suppose he'll have his lawyers work out a similar agreement for the second case that he's just lost
Ok I see, this is what I was wondering as the appeals seem to go on for years in some cases.
I wish I had 10M to give away. My avatar wouldn't be Macrumors 603, it'd be Macrumors owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.