Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I want to purchase a leather case but so many that I really like come with a flip case.

I'm confused - do you use the phone with it still in the case? It seems awkward, like you'd have the flap hitting the top of your head or hanging down while you use it. But I can't imagine that you'd take it out of the case every time you get a phone call.

I really like THIS case, but I'm afraid I'd look like a dork using it with the flap hanging down while I'm talking.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Both of those cases are designed to be used with the iPhone in the case. Yes you will have the flap hanging down or folded back. If you hard on phones (look at your current phone - if not in a case and all banged up you are) you should buy some protective cover. If you want to shout to the world "Look, I have an iPhone, I'm special," you need to go caseless or with a clear case. The best of both worlds allows you to easily slide the iPhone out of its protector, b/c in reality, you need to be able to gat access to the screen when a call comes in.

At the end of the day this is like buying a purse or wallet. Utilitarian and/or fashionable - its your phone and your look - make a decision and the world be damned.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
I feel I could deal with having the flap down when talking, but shooting pictures or video in landscape orientation (phone sideways - which is how I would take all of my shots) would seem extremely awkward.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I'm wondering - any users that have bought a case like this and ended up finding it too cumbersome to use?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I'm wondering - any users that have bought a case like this and ended up finding it too cumbersome to use?

I have a Vaja flip case for my 2G iPhone (see my thread on flip cases in this forum.) It's functionally very similar to the SGP case that you're considering in that the cover is held in place at the top of the iPhone by a tab. To use the iPhone, you pull on the cover. It's a bit more awkward using the iPhone with the cover hanging or folder, but it's never bothered me.

I came across SGP today and I'm considering one too. The biggest drawback is the lack of a belt clip, but I might just switch to carrying my iphone in my shirt or pants pocket. It also occurred to me that I could add a post and belt clip myself if I need to - it would only require a small hole in the case.

Another case I looked at today is the MultiFlip. It looks very well made, but it adds a lot to the thickness of the iPhone, especially since the removable flap wraps around the back at the top and bottom.

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've been eyeing those Piel Frama cases. They look yummy, but aren't in my budget yet. (Someday...)

That MultiFlip looks interesting. I like how you can detach the cover.

So many choices!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I've looked at the Piel as well. I'm sure they're very well made, but I sort of prefer the "non-stitched" look of the SGP illuzion. The Piel is also fairly pricey.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Pulled the trigger and ordered the SGP illuzion this morning; got a notice that it shipped today. I'll post when I get it (hopefully before the iPhone).

kailess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Let us know what you you think when you get the case. I'm considering ordering one also.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Let us know what you you think when you get the case. I'm considering ordering one also.

Will do. Not sure when it'll arrive, because the USPS tracking page just shows that it shipped, not where it is. I think I should get it by Thursday, though.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The case arrived today. Pretty fast, since I ordered it Monday AM. I'll hold off on a full review until I get an iPhone 3G S, but my initial impression is very positive. The build quality seems very similar to my Vaja case. It has a nice, solid feel and a soft inner lining that's perfectly installed. I also like the textured surface that I chose, which I think will show less wear than smooth leather.

Unlike the Vaja case, there's no metal logo, but I won't miss it. There's also no belt clip, which I may end up missing. I ordered a clip and post system from cases.com today, just in case (no pun intended) I want to install it. Doing so will require me to make a small hole in the back of the SGP case, and I don't know if that will affect its integrity. I'll wait and see for now.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
So, Roller - which case is thicker? The SGP or the Vaja?

I don't have a micrometer, but just based on look and feel they seem about equal in thickness. If there is a difference, it's very small.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
I don't have a micrometer, but just based on look and feel they seem about equal in thickness. If there is a difference, it's very small.
Thanks! I'm not worried about hard numbers and whippin' out a set of calipers; that you gave them a good eyeballing and they feel equal in thickness is fine by me. Thanks again for the info.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks! I'm not worried about hard numbers and whippin' out a set of calipers; that you gave them a good eyeballing and they feel equal in thickness is fine by me. Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome. The only thing I can't comment on yet is how well the iPhone fits in the case, but I should know tomorrow. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.