Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Settings > [my name] > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > any card

There is an option in each of my card screens to link the card with Apple Pay. I'm not sure what this does since I have been paying with my cards in the Wallet app for a while now with no problem.

Does anyone have any insight as to what changes when linking these cards to Apple Pay? Thanks.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Settings > [my name] > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > any card

There is an option in each of my card screens to link the card with Apple Pay. I'm not sure what this does since I have been paying with my cards in the Wallet app for a while now with no problem.

Does anyone have any insight as to what changes when linking these cards to Apple Pay? Thanks.
I believe it enables access to Apple Pay from the Appstore and iTunes, so that now you can also use Apple Pay to pay for all your digital purchases. It is a recent change made by Apple.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I believe it enables access to Apple Pay from the Appstore and iTunes, so that now you can also use Apple Pay to pay for all your digital purchases. It is a recent change made by Apple.
Before I linked it to Apple Pay, I was using the same Visa that I use for Apple Pay now. Just curious what the difference between paying with my card vs paying with the same card with “Apple Pay” is.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Before I linked it to Apple Pay, I was using the same Visa that I use for Apple Pay now. Just curious what the difference between paying with my card vs paying with the same card with “Apple Pay” is.
The difference is that your actual card details are no longer sent to iTunes or the Appstore when you make a purchase using Apple Pay, as they were when you had to use your actual card, but rather the device account number is sent instead. Also unlike when using the actual card, charges for purchases from iTunes or the Appstore made using Apple Pay will be listed in Wallet under 'recent transactions' for whatever card you used to make the purchases.
[doublepost=1562510388][/doublepost]
Its so you can add money to your Apple ID.

Check this link. Its mentioned but keep in mind the money is used off the Apple ID prior to the link cards.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201266
Yeah, but not only that. As I said before, it is also for enabling the use of Apple Pay to pay for purchases on iTunes and the Appstore.

Last edited:
Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The difference is that your actual card details are no longer sent to iTunes or the Appstore when you make a purchase using Apple Pay, as they were when you had to use your actual card, but rather the device account number is sent instead. Also unlike when using the actual card, charges for purchases from iTunes or the Appstore made using Apple Pay will be listed in Wallet under 'recent transactions' for whatever card you used to make the purchases.
[doublepost=1562510388][/doublepost]
Yeah, but not only that. As I said before, it is also for enabling the use of Apple Pay to pay for purchases on iTunes and the Appstore.

I wasn't implying otherwise. I just meant anything that your Apple ID was used for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.