Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Going to check out the iPad mini in the store (today). I already know I'm super particular and prob will not be happy w screen resolution but I really wanted the mini size for portability. I should prob just wait for retina display but a part of me thinks they will wait a year instead of 6 months for upgrade.

So should I just buy cheap one now 16g? and sell it later? I'd prefer 32G LTE but that seems like a waste if I'm just going to sell it right away. Is 16g easier to sell?

What do you think the resell value will be on these? I don't care if I have to take $50 hit.

EDIT: Which has higher resell value 16G Wifi or 32G LTE????

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Going to check out the iPad mini in the store (today). I already know I'm super particular and prob will not be happy w screen resolution but I really wanted the mini size for portability. I should prob just wait for retina display but a part of me thinks they will wait a year instead of 6 months for upgrade.

So should I just buy cheap one now 16g? and sell it later? I'd prefer 32G LTE but that seems like a waste if I'm just going to sell it right away. Is 16g easier to sell?

What do you think the resell value will be on these? I don't care if I have to take $50 hit.

Yeah man grab it now and use it and take care of it. You'll probably take a $50 hit if you sell it before the new one is announced. I'm doing that.

You never know though...I think it's going to be a year before they update it again so I wouldn't wait a year.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Yeah man grab it now and use it and take care of it. You'll probably take a $50 hit if you sell it before the new one is announced. I'm doing that.

You never know though...I think it's going to be a year before they update it again so I wouldn't wait a year.

yeah I usually take pristine care of my apple products. screen covers as well as full coverage cases. my iphone 4 is still in perfect condition! I"m not sure why I never choose to resell my apple products, I kind of like keeping them. hahah.

This one for sure I'd sell if I'm not happy w screen res. Does ebay cost money to sell items on there? Can you be first time seller?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
yeah I usually take pristine care of my apple products. screen covers as well as full coverage cases. my iphone 4 is still in perfect condition! I"m not sure why I never choose to resell my apple products, I kind of like keeping them. hahah.

This one for sure I'd sell if I'm not happy w screen res. Does ebay cost money to sell items on there? Can you be first time seller?

Yes eBay does charge. If you sold it for 280, you're looking at about $25 in fees.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
EDIT: Which has higher resell value 16G Wifi or 32G LTE????

Usually, the cheapest models have the largest resale value, while the more expensive ones take more of a beating. People buying used on CL are looking for the last amount of money they can get into a particular generation for.

In the case of iPads, a CL buyer would rather spend $400 on a used 16gb wifi at $100 off MSRP than $600 for a 64 gb cellular enabled version for a $230 discount. IMO, people wanting an upscale version of a device will usually buy new.

You'll have two weeks to decide if you can live with the screen for a new refund. You can also sit out the first round of releases later today and wait a couple of weeks to see what the reviewers and fellow MR members have to say about the device.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Usually, the cheapest models have the largest resale value, while the more expensive ones take more of a beating. People buying used on CL are looking for the last amount of money they can get into a particular generation for.

In the case of iPads, a CL buyer would rather spend $400 on a used 16gb wifi at $100 off MSRP than $600 for a 64 gb cellular enabled version for a $230 discount. IMO, people wanting an upscale version of a device will usually buy new.

You'll have two weeks to decide if you can live with the screen for a new refund. You can also sit out the first round of releases later today and wait a couple of weeks to see what the reviewers and fellow MR members have to say about the device.

thanks for reply. that makes sense that most people who buy top of line model will have the money to just buy a new one. that's true I can always return if I hate it that much.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
thanks for reply. that makes sense that most people who buy top of line model will have the money to just buy a new one. that's true I can always return if I hate it that much.

You're welcome. Love the screen of my 3, but I do find the weight to be a bit off putting. I find myself reading it like an old college textbook by sitting at a desk rather than taking it around everywhere like a magazine.

(Oddly enough, this last summer I sold my 2011 MBA and bought a used late 2011 17" MBP with a glossy sammy panel at a super price. Big sucker, but the ergonomics of it are great for me, since it's great to read balanced on my lap on my favorite chair in the den for extended periods. Holding the iPad, not so much.

The weight and form factor of the mini sound like they'd be appealing, but my middle aged bi-focal needing eyes may not be up to the size and dpi of the display. (That, and I have other things to do with my earned income than give it ALL to Apple.)

If you're going to get anything but the base model of the iPad, you should do so with the expectation that you're either going to drive it until the wheels fall off of it, or take a large hit on resale unless you gamble with eBay. Apparently, my pristine six month old, top of the line LTE 3 is worth anywhere from 450-600 depending on where I sell it, and no one has even bothered responding to my CL ad, which is the same experience I've had with my prior models.

The next time I upgrade, I'm going to either wait for a month after the newest one is announced, and pick up the prior model for a discount (like buying a 2 year old certified used car or what I did with my MBP) or pick up the base wifi model and use a mifi along with better file and app management and online storage rather than buying the topped out cellular version. It helps that the house and most of the places where I work either have or are really close to wifi.

And no matter which one you get, applecare plus is totally worth it due to the accidental damage protection. My adorable klutz of a wife dropped my hand me down 2 that didn't have that coverage at the time, and she spent $100 to have the screen replaced by some idiots at the mall who screwed up the 3g reception. (They've since closed up shop and vanished.)

The cutting edge has bled the green from my wallet.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
You're welcome. Love the screen of my 3, but I do find the weight to be a bit off putting. I find myself reading it like an old college textbook by sitting at a desk rather than taking it around everywhere like a magazine.

And no matter which one you get, applecare plus is totally worth it due to the accidental damage protection. My adorable klutz of a wife dropped my hand me down 2 that didn't have that coverage at the time, and she spent $100 to have the screen replaced by some idiots at the mall who screwed up the 3g reception. (They've since closed up shop and vanished.)

The cutting edge has bled the green from my wallet.

Yes the size and weight of the mini is really enticing to me. I carry the ipad 3 w me everywhere I go but the lack of retina in the mini is a killer.

wow, sucks those people vanished! can't believe they also screwed up the cellular reception!

thanks for sharing resell experience. everyone that resells on CL or ebay on here makes it sound like they get many responses and sells in no time.

----------

Yes eBay does charge. If you sold it for 280, you're looking at about $25 in fees.

thanks, $25 kinda sucks if I'm only selling the entry level model of the mini.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
thanks for sharing resell experience. everyone that resells on CL or ebay on here makes it sound like they get many responses and sells in no time.

That's usually because they've (until this last time) generally have the update cycle figured out, and sell off before an announcement is even set, and are willing to go for a few weeks without one. I use mine for work every day, so that's not an option. Go on CL in your area and so a search for iPad 3 and see how many ads are up, what they're selling for, and how long they've been there.

OTOH, you can use this to your advantage if you want to buy a 4, presuming you can wait until the 5's are released next year.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
That's usually because they've (until this last time) generally have the update cycle figured out, and sell off before an announcement is even set, and are willing to go for a few weeks without one. I use mine for work every day, so that's not an option. Go on CL in your area and so a search for iPad 3 and see how many ads are up, what they're selling for, and how long they've been there.

OTOH, you can use this to your advantage if you want to buy a 4, presuming you can wait until the 5's are released next year.

good point. I hate living with out my iPad for more than a day...first world problems. hahah

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So I don't get this! When the ipad 2 came out the screen was fine, and I bet still fine because Aple still sell them! But on the iPad mini is a no go! What gives steve heart! :confused:

Ps: it is a gadget do not invest your money into it if you are asking for the resale value! Smh!

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Back when I sold my iPad 3rd gen 32gb Verizon LTE black I lost a bit off price but not much. I've sold plenty of stuff on Craigslist.. iPhones iPads and macs. Even some headphones. I say keeping the box along with keeping the device in good shape are the important things.

Anyway, I really wish this iPad mini had a retina display. I may still get one and just sell it before a newer model comes out. I have a pretty good habit of doing that.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So I don't get this! When the ipad 2 came out the screen was fine, and I bet still fine because Aple still sell them! But on the iPad mini is a no go! What gives steve heart! :confused:

Ps: it is a gadget do not invest your money into it if you are asking for the resale value! Smh!

It's a step backward. We're used to retina. We waited so long to get retina on an iPad and it'll suck to have to give that up by going mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.