Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Hello All

So I have my iPhone and plan to do the deed tomorrow.

Can anyone in the UK advise if I can use a T-Mobile PAYG sim initially. I emailed then to ask about internet and they responded saying max £1 per day for unlimited using this sort of Sim.

So, will I have to put settings in to get this to work? If so what?

And will I get EDGE, or do I need a pay monthly to do this?

Any UK T-Mobile help is really appreciated.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Unlocked fine, and the way I was looking at it, was Max £1 per day for unlimited internet. I would probably on average use it 18 days per month, most likely less.

So, max £31/month, average £18, more likely £15/month.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Doesn't the iPhone constantly use data though? Thats what worries me about this sort of plan. I'm still undecided about my plan of action, definitely not with o2 though! :rolleyes:

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
It doesn't constantly use data as far as I can tell.

You can set it to not to check for emails automatically, so then it'll only use data when you check manually, or surf the net, or YouTube.

Then if you have something like BT Openzone, you can always grab a Big Mac and get some emails etc. MY BTOpenzone is free for 250 mins per month, bundled with my BroadBand package.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
I'm still undecided about my plan of action, definitely not with o2 though! :rolleyes:

why do you say that? is it because you think the tariffs are bad, or because you have had a bad experience with the company?

I thought £35 was too much, and the texts/phone calls only "adequate" but in actual fact, unlimited data and access to "The Cloud" wifi make this a competitive offer.

I think I will go with O2 for this, mainly because it is simpler than unlocking the iPhone and always playing catchup with Apple's updates. They said they are taking the same line with this as with DRM stripping from iTunes songs, which the succeeded in stopping.

I would like to update the iPhone with new features, without worrying about my phone stopping working.

What do others think?

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
why do you say that? is it because you think the tariffs are bad, or because you have had a bad experience with the company?

Nothing to do with the company, in fact I was quite happy when I heard o2 was getting the iPhone, it's just the tariffs are too expensive for how much I actually use my phone.

At the minute I'm swaying towards a contract on T-Mobile (Flext 20 + Web 'n' Walk, which will give me £34 of credit to use how I want and unlimited data for £22.50/month). I just can't justify paying £35 a month to be honest!

I am worried about what will happen when Apple updates the iPhone, probably just gonna wait untill an update is released and see what happens!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.