Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
When Tiger is released, will all the programs currently running on Panther work? Or will I need to get updates for them from the vendors?

I have Adobe Creative Suite and stuff, should they work the same or is there going to be a patch or upgrade that I need for them to work with Tiger?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
They should work just fine cgratti but on the off chance they don't, there's usually a pretty prompt update (or patch) soon after release. You may have noticed all this talk of developer release notes for different builds of Tiger. One of their purposes is to iron out all the bugs to make the transition as seamless as possible. :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Most things will work no problem. Some things that played with things they shouldn't will need updates. And a good portion of those will have the patches available right about when Tiger is released.

For myself, going to Jaguar and Panther was much like that...most things worked, a couple had minor issues that were patched quickly and couple needed updates to work at all.

Pay attention here after Tiger is released and you see posts about what issues people have.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Most everything already works, even on the current Tiger beta, which isn't ready for prime time. I agree - almost everything will work fine, most that doesn't will be patched shortly, and a few things just won't work because they're no longer under development/maintained.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Ok, now to my other part of the question. I need to use Adobe products on this machine on a daily basis, if by chance they dont work is there a way to sorta roll the machine back to panther? So I can use the apps until a patch becomes available?

And when I do upgrade to Tiger, I just throw the disk in and upgrade right? or should I back-up everything and do a clean install?

Thank Sweet Jesus for you guys here to help out a new Mac user, or I would have not even got a Mac. I was checking this site out months before I ordered my iMac to see if I had problems if I could get help here, and I was confident I can. Thanks to all who contribute to not only my problems but anyone who has trouble with their macs.

Great group of people here.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
cgratti said:
Ok, now to my other part of the question. I need to use Adobe products on this machine on a daily basis, if by chance they dont work is there a way to sorta roll the machine back to panther? So I can use the apps until a patch becomes available?

And when I do upgrade to Tiger, I just throw the disk in and upgrade right? or should I back-up everything and do a clean install?

Thank Sweet Jesus for you guys here to help out a new Mac user, or I would have not even got a Mac. I was checking this site out months before I ordered my iMac to see if I had problems if I could get help here, and I was confident I can. Thanks to all who contribute to not only my problems but anyone who has trouble with their macs.

Great group of people here.

If you are worried about your current products ability to work under Tiger, before upgrading, make a backup of all your data and applications. Know where your software restore disc is for Panther. Then upgrade to Tiger. If your critical applications don't work, erase and restore Panther from the restore disc. Then restore your applications and data.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
While Tiger is awesome, I'd wait about a week before installing it, because by then, we'll have caught most of the things that don't work here on the forums. Nice to know that the community helped you make your decision!
-Chase

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
cgratti said:
Wait a bit (at least a week or two) after Tiger comes out before installing it. This way you can see if other people report problems with the applications you use.

Backups are your friend. In all seriousness, you should be backing up your important data regularly anyway. And you should always back up you data before you do a major OS upgrade. Better safe than sorry. And as for whether you should do an upgrade, an archive install or a clean install the answer is after you've waited a bit and checked what other users have experienced you will know which you need to do probably.

Oh yeah, and make sure you know where all your license keys are as well as your installation media. You should also burn (as part of your backup) a seperate disc (CD-R or DVD-R) tha has all the downloaded software that you use that you have the installers for. In my case, this would be some freeware (Mozilla and the like), some shareware (make sure you know where you license codes are for the shareware as well), as well as updates for various commercial software (Adobe products for instance).

All of the above advice will help if your harddisk ever failed and you wanted to be organized to reinstall your system from scratch.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Bear said:
All of the above advice will help if your harddick ever failed and you wanted to be organized to reinstall your system from scratch.

If that did indeed fail, worrying about his system would be the least of his problems....

Vanilla

Edit: Just noticed you corrected the unfortunate typo...shame, it was rather funny, but all good things must come to an end...which leads me on to another double entendre, but best not go there....

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I do make regular backups. Learned that from being a Windoze user.
What I meant was what is the BEST way to install Tiger (Reformat and install or just upgrade from Panther?)

I will probably wait about a week anyway to see what problems there are before I install it anyway. i am sure there will be some bugs, it's expected.

:D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
cgratti said:
What I meant was what is the BEST way to install Tiger (Reformat and install or just upgrade from Panther?)

I will probably wait about a week anyway to see what problems there are before I install it anyway. i am sure there will be some bugs, it's expected.

Waiting a week is good... and don't overlook the middle option the Archive & Install.

You'll know within a week or two if the upgrade works or has major problems.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
cgratti said:

Archive and Install. New OS but the old apps. Best idea for installing EVER. And you don't need to baby sit the damned thing.. it installs and THEN you do your configuration, not like Windows which needs you to sit there and hold its hand through every single step. Grrrrrr..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.