Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Ok guys just a quick question. I don't know if this is common or a virus or something. I've noticed recently that on some pages when the screen doesn't load all the way up some boxes that should contain pics or links has a square and a question mark in it. Is this commong with some websites or is there something wrong with my mac. I also noticed when the page is still loading you can see some of the boxes with the question mark but after fully loading the thing goes away and shows the normal thing.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I assume you are using Safari. What version are you using? Have you tried firefox? Have you tried reloading the pages?

I'm using safari yes. Version 2.04. I haven't tried firefox or any reloading but its weird I just never noticed it so much before hand until now. Just wondering if its common and not some bug.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm using safari yes. Version 2.04. I haven't tried firefox or any reloading but its weird I just never noticed it so much before hand until now. Just wondering if its common and not some bug.

It means that your pages aren't fully loading for some reason. Is there some kind of interference with your router, and have you updated your software so that you have the latest Safari? Usually this only happens once in a blue moon on mine, and a simple "refresh" solves everything.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
It means that your pages aren't fully loading for some reason. Is there some kind of interference with your router, and have you updated your software so that you have the latest Safari? Usually this only happens once in a blue moon on mine, and a simple "refresh" solves everything.

I think it could be inteference with the router. I have the linksys and it's either working ok or so so. I have updated my software and all. I don't think there is a new update for Safari or is there? I'll have to look.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I had the same problem I think. The pages would load up fine in Firefox but it would show blue boxes with question marks in Safari and it would fail to load.
I tried everything: resetting safari, deleting the safari folder from my library, checking the mime settings, reinstalling safari, deleting the com.apple.safari.plist files from my prefernces.
Nothing seemed to solve the problem.

So finally I deleted my prefernces folder from my library which ofcourse took away all my settings in mail, dashboard etc but that solved the problem and now I don't have those question marks in safari.
The Apple representative came to the conclusion that my prefernces folder must've got corrupted.

Hope this helps :)

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I had the same problem I think. The pages would load up fine in Firefox but it would show blue boxes with question marks in Safari and it would fail to load.
I tried everything: resetting safari, deleting the safari folder from my library, checking the mime settings, reinstalling safari, deleting the com.apple.safari.plist files from my prefernces.
Nothing seemed to solve the problem.

So finally I deleted my prefernces folder from my library which ofcourse took away all my settings in mail, dashboard etc but that solved the problem and now I don't have those question marks in safari.
The Apple representative came to the conclusion that my prefernces folder must've got corrupted.

Hope this helps :)

Ohhhhh ok I see. What else is in that preferences folder?? I don't have mail set up or anthing. In fact I deleted all that stuff. Only thing I use is Adium and Itunes. And where is this folder and if delete it does a new one generate? Thanks a lot.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
This is what I did I moved the folder to my desktop so I can keep it for a month or so incase I need it sometime.
The folder is located in you user account's library. And if you move it to the desktop or delete it it rebuilds itself and then you have to change your settings again. It doesn't take a lot of time and to get my safari to work again I didn't mind doing it.
As far as the things that got effacted were my widgets, mail and a few more. You don't loose any data so your music, picture, movies everything will still be there. Its just the settings.
Why don't you try deleting com.apple.safari.plist file from your preferneces first and then click on safari and it will start from its factory default setting.
Mind you, you will loose your bookmarks etc. So go to file and then export bookmarks and save it somewhere so you can import it later.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Oh ok thanks a lot. Yeah I have no bookmarks or anything at all so I won't really lose anything. I like to keep the minimalist approach haha.

This is what I did I moved the folder to my desktop so I can keep it for a month or so incase I need it sometime.
The folder is located in you user account's library. And if you move it to the desktop or delete it it rebuilds itself and then you have to change your settings again. It doesn't take a lot of time and to get my safari to work again I didn't mind doing it.
As far as the things that got effacted were my widgets, mail and a few more. You don't loose any data so your music, picture, movies everything will still be there. Its just the settings.
Why don't you try deleting com.apple.safari.plist file from your preferneces first and then click on safari and it will start from its factory default setting.
Mind you, you will loose your bookmarks etc. So go to file and then export bookmarks and save it somewhere so you can import it later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.