Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hi all,

I just got my quicksilver to finally work and installed tiger. Now every time I reboot I keep getting the question mark and it won't load. Is it my hard drive going bad. It did not do this intill I did all of the updates on it

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm pretty sure that the question mark means the computer can't find the system folder. Boot from the CD and use the Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. If this doesn't do anything, I'd try reinstalling Tiger. You can use an Archive and Install if you have data you don't want to lose.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
alright man

what i recommend (that works every time)

boot from tiger cd
completely erase the whole hd using disk utility
and reinstall Tiger
this has always solver the ? mark problem for me :)

good luck if you need more help holler

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
I have seen this work and still have no explanation
My teacher zaped the Pram then did a hard reboot. Got him into the os x and then did a permissions verification.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
jocool5 said:
I have seen this work and still have no explanation
My teacher zaped the Pram then did a hard reboot. Got him into the os x and then did a permissions verification.

That weird I have 3 and never had this problem before. So how do you tell if the hhd is bad. To me this is what I thought first when I went to work and booted up the machine. So I will try that and see what happens

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
doucy2 said:
alright man

what i recommend (that works every time)

boot from tiger cd
completely erase the whole hd using disk utility
and reinstall Tiger
this has always solver the ? mark problem for me :)

good luck if you need more help holler
You sound like a windows user. Formatting should always be a last resort, not the first try.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
Reflow said:
That weird I have 3 and never had this problem before. So how do you tell if the hhd is bad. To me this is what I thought first when I went to work and booted up the machine. So I will try that and see what happens
well to start if it sounds bad but if target disk mode wont work then that is a big indicator. At the HS i went to they had the apple techs there to look at this problem they have had som 50 Imac's hard drives go bad. the Imacs tehm selfs are rev B so i don't know what the issue is there.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Looks like a bad drive to me. I tried disk utility and it did nothing. So I just replaced the drive. Now all good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.