Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, before the throttling thing, I was shopping to replace my old 5s for which my 24 months term is about to end. I can only afford a 6s or maybe a 6s plus. I put a hold on buying the 6s since. In face of that, a friend lent me an old moto g with Lollipop hoping I would switch. After 2 weeks, I'm starting to get bored and miss the perfect integration with my iPad and iMac. The Moto G works like a charm though. Question: what truly happens if I buy a brand new 6s now? It will perform at 100% CPU capacity until the battery reaches the 80% threshold then the throttling takes charge of the CPU. Do I get it? Which in turn means I should replace the battery. So is this gonna my situation if I buy a 6s? I just want to know for sure before if I buy. Dunno why but I'd preferably buy from Apple.
Thanks for your hints.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Hello, before the throttling thing, I was shopping to replace my old 5s for which my 24 months term is about to end. I can only afford a 6s or maybe a 6s plus. I put a hold on buying the 6s since. In face of that, a friend lent me an old moto g with Lollipop hoping I would switch. After 2 weeks, I'm starting to get bored and miss the perfect integration with my iPad and iMac. The Moto G works like a charm though. Question: what truly happens if I buy a brand new 6s now? It will perform at 100% CPU capacity until the battery reaches the 80% threshold then the throttling takes charge of the CPU. Do I get it? Which in turn means I should replace the battery. So is this gonna my situation if I buy a 6s? I just want to know for sure before if I buy. Dunno why but I'd preferably buy from Apple.
Thanks for your hints.

If you get a brand new 6s, you'll enjoy full CPU speed for about a year or two but any longer than that and your phone will assess the battery health and appropriate lower CPU clock speed to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

It can be remedied by having the 6s' battery replaced which will bring it back to full speed.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I always update iOS on my 6s+.. it’s 1.5 years old and at 92% Battery capacity and still going strong on 11.2.1. 6s+ is a great phone! If u can’t afford an 8+, try a 7+ or 6s+.. No water resistance on 6s+, but it’s all about what you need/want and can afford..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.