Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
so let me get this straight... (i just bought one today)

i have my DSL line... I used to plug it into the wireless router/modem then plug my Xbox360 into that and also connect my MacBook wirelessly.

Do i need to buy something else now? my old router/modem thing refused to get a signal and i tried a different router/modem from work and it worked fine. i use the "router/modem" cause i dont know what it is exactly:confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You may have a wireless access point built into your modem which acts as a router. What you need is a modem and the AirPort, that should be all. Your current box (modem/router thing), does that plug into the phone line? if so then it's a pretty safe bet that it's your modem. If so then the modem aspect may still be working, even if the wireless transmitter isn't.

Plugging the AirPort into this box might still give you internet over a wireless network. To check, plug a computer directly into the box (modem/router thing) and see if you can access the 'net. If you can, then use the AirPort Setup Assistant to get your AirPort distributing your internet. :)

If it doesn't work then you might need a new modem. Don't get tempted into buying a modem/router/wireless thing because you've already got the AirPort. Check that your current modem isn't working before buying a new one, obviously. :)

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
yea, its definitely the modem part of my 2wire that died, i can still "connect" to it, but it is unable to get a DSL signal. any suggestion on a modem?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, different ISP recommend different brands. I use a Linksys one that my ISP recommended and sold/configured for me. Maybe talk to them about recommended brands. :)

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
i went to best buy and bought the AT&T/SBC modem (they are my provider too) and have it wired to the Airport and then I'm wireless to the AirPort...

i have gone through the setup and its not working... i tried to connect to Xbox Live with my 360 and it says the MTU test failed and i still haven't been able to connect to the internet with MY network, i'm "borrowing" someone elses right now

:EDIT: everything thing seems to be working now, but i bet i jinx it lol thank you for your help

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I'm back. Because I did get my Airport Express hooked up in client mode to my 2Wire 1000hg DSL wireless modem. And. It. Sucks.

Because it is s l o w .

Printing is very s l o w. I figured out it is because the 2WIRE modem is a "b" not a "g" modem.

So, I have both an Airport Extreme and Express. Do I still need to purchase a dsl modem? If you guys saw my studio loft apartment, you'd laugh because however cool it is, it is small and the idea of wireless almost redundant. The idea of three router thingies -- a modem, an AExtreme and AExpress all in this once space is very funny.

Anyway, do you think I need to ditch my 2WIRE DSL wireless modem? Compared to my mom's house where she has a simple cable modem with an Extreme base for wireless printing, her set up is fast on the print. Any info would be inspiring. Thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Because my loft is small, my Powermac is about to be loaned out to a friend and the iMac given to another one for Xmas. All I will have left is a mac mini and display that I will also use my Powerbook 12" to boot from at times.

I don't want computers and wires everywhere. I have to figure out how to get DSL "g" standard through to either an airport express or extreme.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Because my loft is small, my Powermac is about to be loaned out to a friend and the iMac given to another one for Xmas. All I will have left is a mac mini and display that I will also use my Powerbook 12" to boot from at times.

I don't want computers and wires everywhere. I have to figure out how to get DSL "g" standard through to either an airport express or extreme.
Why not just plug the printer into the Mini, then? No more equipment needed.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Why not just plug the printer into the Mini, then? No more equipment needed.

I have had it plugged into the mini! I don't want to trip over the wire with it! Small office area, need to separate it. Putting the printer upstairs out of the way.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm a little bit confused, sorry. You need a modem but you can bypass the 802.11B bottleneck by plugging one of the AirPorts into the modem, disabling the 2Wire's broadcasting (you may need to check the manual), and use the AirPort Setup Assistant to pretty much automatically figure out how your network's set up such that your second AirPort can then connect to the first AirPort via WDS at 802.11G speeds. Did that make sense, mate? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.